Michael Mina (born 1969 in Cairo, Egypt) is an award-winning American celebrity chef, restaurateur, and cookbook author. He is the executive chef at his namesake restaurant in San Francisco, California, and partners with Andre Agassi in Mina Group LLC, a restaurant management company that owns 12 restaurants across the United States. He authored his first cookbook in 2006 and has made numerous television appearances. Mina has three Michelin stars among his two namesake restaurants in San Francisco, California and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Egyptian-born Michael Mina was raised in Ellensburg, Washington. He is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America
in Hyde Park, New York
After working in Los Angeles at the Bel Air Hotel with Executive Chef George Morrone
, Mina followed Morrone to San Francisco to help create Aqua
. Following Morrone's departure from Aqua, Mina became Excutive Chef and received numerous awards and accolades. Mina is known for his "trio" concept- using one luxe ingredient (such as jackfish, foie gras, rabbit, pork) prepared three different ways. Each is specially presented on a custom made plate.
In 2002, Mina partnered with Andre Agassi
to open concept
restaurants across the country, such as Nobhill and Seablue at the MGM Grand
casino in Las Vegas, Nevada
In October 2006, Mina's flagship restaurant, Michael Mina, was awarded two Michelin stars, one of only four restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area to be a two star recipient.
In November 2006 Michael Mina released his first cookbook, Michael Mina: The Cookbook. The book presents a number of recipes with his "trio concept" as well as a number of his one plate classics including his lobster pot pie and root beer floats.
- Michael Mina. San Francisco, California
- Michael Mina Bellagio. Las Vegas, Nevada (renamed from Aqua). A Mobile 5-star restaurant.
- Nobhill. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Seablue. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Arcadia. San Jose, California
- Stonehill Tavern. Monarch Beach, California
- Seablue Borgata. Atlantic City, New Jersey
- Stripsteak. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Bourbon. Fairmont Turnberry Isle Resort & Club, Aventura, Florida
- Bourbon Steak. MGM Grand Detroit. Detroit, Michigan
- Saltwater. MGM Grand Detroit. Detroit, Michigan
- Bourbon Steak The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. Scottsdale, Arizona
- Top 40 Restaurants in the U.S. 2007, 2006, 2005, Michael Mina by Andre Gayot guide
- Bon Appétit's Chef of the Year, 2005
- San Francisco Magazine's Chef of the Year, 2005
- Restaurateur of the Year, 2005
- Top 40 Restaurants in the U.S. 2004, Michael Mina Bellagio by Andre Gayot guide
- James Beard Foundation Best California Chef, 2002
- Rising Star Chef of the Year, 1997