In 1920, the company was purchased by Marcus Loew as a supplier of product for his theater chain. A few years later, Loew merged it with his recently acquired Goldwyn Picture Corporation to form Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
Although the Metro film library and stars were merged into MGM in 1924, Rowland's Los Angeles film studio continued a life of its own. It was known simply as Motion Picture Studios through the 1940s, and Desilu Studios through the 1950s and 1960s. Today it's called Ren-Mar studios. It's located on Cahuenga Blvd. north of Melrose Avenue in Hollywood (directly behind the Musicians AFM Local 47 on Vine Street).