The Max Planck Institute for Metals Research
(Max-Planck-Institut für Metallforschung) is a research institute of the Max Planck Society
located in Stuttgart
. The institute was founded 1921 as Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Metal Research
and closed 1932. 1934 it was reopened in Stuttgart and incorporated into the Max Planck Society in 1949. The Institute moved subsequently to Büsnau from 1968 till 2002.
The International Max Planck Research School for Advanced Materials is a graduate program offering a Ph.D. The school is run in cooperation with the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research
, and the University of Stuttgart