Mason Science College was founded by Josiah Mason in 1875, the buildings of which were opened in Edmund Street, Birmingham, England on 1 October 1880. In 1900, it was incorporated into the new University of Birmingham.
Notable alumni include:
Despite being a fine Victorian Neo-Gothic building, it was demolished in 1962 followed by the original Central Public Library and original Birmingham and Midland Institute as part of the inner ring road redevelopment. The current Central Library stands on the site of the old college.
Buildings That Changed the Face of Birmingham; in the First of a Two-Part Feature, Matthew Goer of Associated Architects Looks at the Buildings Which Have Helped Shape Birmingham's Recent History, with One from Each Decade. This Week He Looks at the 1880s to the 1940s
Apr 04, 2013; 1880s Birmingham School of Art As a growing industrial town, Birmingham recognised the importance of art education for the...