Marine Corps Air Station Ewa (MCAS Ewa) was a United States Marine Corps air station that was located west of Pearl Harbor on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. The base was hit during the attack on Pearl Harbor and later served as the hub for all Marine aviation units heading into combat in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The based was closed in 1952 because its runways were too short for the jet aircraft and expansion was impossible due to the proximity of Naval Air Station Barbers Point. Ewa has been abandoned since 1952 however two of its runways are still visible from the air and many of the revetments still remain in good condition.
By the onset of World War II, the air station had four runways and numerous hangars. On December 7, 1941, MCAS Ewa was the first installation hit during the attack on Pearl Harbor. All forty eight aircraft based there were destroyed .
In April 1944, the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing was relocated to MCAS Ewa where they stayed for the remainder of the war .
The start of the Korean War saw another surge in activity at MCAS Ewa but because the runways were becoming more and more unsuitable for jet aircraft the Marine Corps shifted its aviation assets to Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay. Ewa was officially closed on June 18, 1952 and its property assumed by Naval Air Station Barbers Point.
In 2008 the US Navy announced they would be leasing of the old air station to Ford Island Properties who plan on building expensive homes and shopping centers to create an urban center for Kapolei. The Navy has said that 4 to of the base near the center of the old runways qualifies for the National Register of Historic Places. While some local looking to preserve the field are trying to rally support to make it a National Cemetery, it seems the Navy and Ford Island Properties are expected to conclude their lease agreement in August.