(born 14 July 1945
) is an Australian
author, co-author and editor of over fifty published Fiction
books for children and teachers.
Margaret was born in Stirling
, the youngest of three children. She immigrated to Australia with her family at age eight in 1953.
Margaret graduated in 1969 from the University of Sydney majoring in Psychology and Government and subsequently attained her Diploma in Education in 1970, also at the University of Sydney. She obtained her Remedial Teacher's Certificate in Special Education from the Kuring-gai College of Advanced Education (now part of the University of Technology, Sydney) in 1974. Other qualifications include her Masters of Arts (Education) in 1975 from the University of Sydney, her Masters of Arts (Creative Writing) in 2001 from the University of Western Sydney. In 2004 Margaret obtained her Graduate Diploma of Information from the University of Technology, Sydney.
Margaret has worked as a teacher, special needs teacher and teacher-librarian at a number of inner Sydney public schools and continues to teach in Sydney.
Margaret has an ongoing collaboration with author and editor Kathleen Hawke. Their books Australia's Critically Endangered Animals and Australia's Deadly and Dangerous Animals and Plants are on the booklist for the Premier's Reading Challenge, a literacy initiative designed to promote reading to children.
Margaret is a member of The Australian Society of Authors and The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.
Margaret married husband John, in 1965. She has one son, James, and is the mother of actress Tasneem Roc
- Kangaroos (Reed Education, 1980)
- Australian Communities (Methuen, series with Kathleen Hawke, 1982)
- Sheep Property
- Mining Town
- Rural City
- River Towns'
- New Technologies (Methuen, series with John Roc, 1984)
- Computers at Work
- Computers and Leisure' '
- Living and Growing (Macmillan, series co-author with Kathleen Hawke, 1991)
- Early Childhood
- Old Age
- Fair Go for Everyone (Macmillan, co-author 1991)
- Platypus(Macmillan, 1993)
- Butterfly (Macmillan, 1993)
- Dolphin (Macmillan, 1993)
- Frog (Macmillan, 1993)
- Cicada (Macmillan, 1994)
- Dog (Macmillan, 1994)
- Koala (Macmillan, 1994)
- Fish (Macmillan, 1994)
- Australian Habitats (Macmillan, series co-author with Kathleen Hawke, 1998)
- Temperate Forests
- Australia's Critically Endangered Animals (Heinemann, 2006 with Kathleen Hawlke)
- Australia's Deadly and Dangerous Animals and Plants (Heinemann, 2006 with Kathleen Hawke)
- I Love... (Methuen, series with Kathleen Hawke, 1979)
- I Love Butterflies
- I Love Going to the Beach
- I Love Chairs that Are Big and Soft
- I Love Running When I Take Off My Shoes
- Shakespeare Readers (Shakespeare Head Press series, 1985)
- Kick Off!
- Sing, Clap, Play a Tune!
- Saddle Up!
- Bone for Lady
- Cubs and Campfires
- Brownies in Action
- Oodles of Noodles (Hodder & Stoughten, 1987)
- Little Koala (Harper Collins, 1989)
- Little Koala Finds a Friend (Harper Collins, 1997)
- Bronze Swagman Book of Bush Verse 19th Edition (1990)