is a town located 9 km north of Jodhpur
city, in the Indian
state of Rajasthan
Mandore is an ancient town, and was the seat of the Mandorva branch of the Parihar
which ruled the region in the 6th century AD by King Nahar Rao Parihar. In 1395 AD, a Mohil princess of the Parihar rulers of Mandore married Chundaji, scion of the Rathod
clan of Rajputs
. This was during the era of rapid ascendency of the Rathod clan, and Chundaji received Mandore in dowry. The town remained the seat of the Rathore clan until 1459 AD, when Rao Jodha
, a Rathore chief who united the surrounding region under his rule, shifted his capital to the newly founded city of Jodhpur.
The historic town boasts several important monuments. The now ruined Mandore fort, with its thick walls and substantial size, was built in several stages and was once a fine piece of architecture. A huge, now ruined temple is a highlight of the fort. The outer wall of the temple depicts finely carved botanical designs, birds, animals and planets.
The 'Mandore gardens', with its charming collection of temples and memorials, and its high rock terraces, is another major attraction. The gardens house the Chhatris (cenotaphs) of many rulers of the erstwhile princely state of Marwar. Prominent among them is the chhatri of Maharaja Ajit Singh, built in 1793.
The Mandore Gardens also house a government museum, a 'Hall of Heroes' and a temple to 33 crore Gods. Various artefacts and statues found in the area are housed at the museum. The 'Hall of Heroes' commemorates popular folk heroes of the region. It contains 16 figures carved out of a single rock. Next door is a larger hall called "The temple of 33 crore Gods" which houses images of various Hindu Gods.
Famous Fairs and Festivals
- The Rao Festival
- Hariyali Amavasya
- Naag Panchami
Famous people from Mandore
- Late Thakur Shri Sher Singh ji Gehlot of Mandore 1935 , Ex-Sarpanch of Mandore.
- Dr.Vijay Singh P.Kachwaha (New Delhi), Ex-Senior Advisor, United Nations, New York, USA.
- Late Shri Ranjeet Singh Kachwaha (New Delhi), Ex-CEO, Fertilizer Corporation of India.
- Late Shri Santokh Singh Kachwaha, Ex-MLA
- Late Shri Narsingh Kachwaha, Ex-Cabinet Minister Govt. of Rajasthan (Congress Party)
- Late Anand Singh Kachwaha, Ex-MLA (Congress Party).
- Late Shri Mangal Singh Kachwaha, Ex-MLA (Congress Party)
- Shri Madho Singh Kachwaha, Ex-MLA (BJP)
- Late Shri Balvir Singh Kachwaha (BJP Leader).
- Late Dr. Om Dut Bhati Ex-MLA (Famous Leader of Jansangh later known as BJP).
- Shri Mahendra Singh Kachwaha, Ex-Chief Engineer, P.H.E.D.Rajasthan & Ex-Chairman, Pollution Control Board, Rajasthan.
- Dr. Vijay Singh Kachwaha, well-known Neurosurgeon USA.
- Shri Dilip Singh Kachwaha, Ex-Chaiman & Managing Director of RCF, Bombay, India.
- Shri Bhagwan Singh Parihar, (Well-known Industrialist & Famous Social worker).