It is a tourist centre, located on a horseshoe shaped bay between the Biokovo mountain and the Adriatic Sea. The city is noted for its palm-fringed promenade, where fashionable cafés, bars and boutiques overlook the pretty harbour where many pleasure craft are moored. Adjacent to the beach are several large capacity hotels as well as a camping ground.
The center of Makarska is an old town with narrow stone-paved streets, a main church square where there is a flower and fruit market, and a Franciscan monastery that houses a sea shell collection featuring a giant clam shell.
Makarska is the center of the Makarska riviera, a popular tourist destination under the Biokovo mountain. In the summertime tens of thousands of tourists flock to the area from Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sweden, Slovenia, Hungary, Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as other countries.
The area of Makarska was inhabited by the Illyrians. The city appeares in the Tabula Peutingeriana as the port of Inaronia, but is mentioned as Muccurum in a document of the synod held in the Salona (533), when also the town's diocese was created.
In the 7th century the region between the Cetina and Neretva was occupied by the Slavs, who established the Neretva Principality, with Mokro (Makarska) as its administrative centre. The doge of Venice Pietro I Candiano, whose Venetian fleet aimed to punish the piratesque activities of the city's vessels, was defeated here on September 18, 877.
The principality was annexed to the Kingdom of Croatia in the 12th century, and was conquered by the Republic of Venice a century later. In the late 15th century the Ottomans conquered Makarska (cited by this name for the first time in 1502), surrounding it with walls provided with three towers, not disappeared. After the return under the Venetian aegis from 1646, it was given to the Austrians by the Treaty of Campo Formio (1797). In 1805-1815 it was under French rule, which brought cultural, social and economic development. The Congress of Vienna assigned Makarska to Austria-Hungary, under which it remained until 1918.
In the early 20th century agriculture, trade and fishing remained the mainstay of economy. In 1914 the first hotel was built, beginning the tourism tradition in the area.
Artist Leokadia Makarska-Cermak recently created a portrait in honor of Mary C. Sansone, the founder and Executive Director of the Congress of Italian American Organizations (CIAO), a group that works on behalf of the poor.(Picture Gallery)
Jan 01, 2008; [ILLUSTRATION OMITTED] Artist Leokadia Makarska-Cermak recently created a portrait in honor of Mary C. Sansone, the...