Madden NFL 09 is an American football video game that was published by EA Sports and developed by EA Tiburon. It is the 20th annual installment in the Madden NFL video game franchise. The game was released for the Nintendo DS, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360 consoles.
The Wii version of the game is titled Madden NFL 09 All-Play and was launched under EA Sports' new All-Play brand exclusive to the platform, taking a slightly different approach to the game and taking advantage of the motion controls.
The 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition of Madden NFL 09 includes NFL Head Coach 09, an alternative case, an exclusive version of John Madden Football '93 with updated teams and rosters and bonus video content and clips.
A demo of the game was released on Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network. The standard version and the anniversary package were released on August 12, 2008.
Madden NFL 09 is the only Xbox game to be released in 2008 as well as the last game to ever appear on the system. (Similarly, Madden NFL 08 was the last game released on the Nintendo GameCube).
A Spanish language version of the game was released on September 17, 2008 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms.
Note: Some of these features may only apply to the PS3 and XBox360 versions of the game.
- New Booth Commentators: The game featured the two man broadcast team of Cris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond, but the PS2, PSP, Xbox and Wii versions still retained the broadcast team of Al Michaels and John Madden due to memory limitations.
- Broadcast Plus Presentation Styles/EA Sports Ticker: Starting line-up banners, New coin toss and pre-game introduction, brand new Banner System, Pre-game visuals such as Stadium fly-in and exterior. The game will be branded with EA Sports Broadcast look including new camera angles. Also a new ticker that drives home the new broadcast look.
- Enhanced Play Calling System: Picture-in-Picture play calling system that streamlines important information to the user that includes Instant Replay, Stats and Accessibility hints. Also on demand access and the ability to make substitutions directly on play call gives more flexibility to the play call screen.
- New Cameras: New playable cameras keep more of the action on the screen by making sure you can see all of your receivers. It also focuses on big moments such as break-aways and hard hits. Also a variety of new pre-play and post-play cameras
- Improved sidelines: More people on the sideline, including a variety of security, coaches, and players. These characters have more activity and emotions than previous versions of the game.
- Video Highlights: capture moments and create a highlight clip that can be uploaded to EA Sports World to share with friends.
- Improved online leagues: server-based leagues, supporting up to 75 players, with full schedules including the playoffs (up to seven rounds) and the Super Bowl as well as draft and trade support. Schedules can be played in a round-robin style as well.
- Improved Graphics: Improved stadium models, new weather effects such as snow, rain & "movie weather", new lighting models, new realistic player models, field goal nets, and clear visors.
- Revamped franchise mode: Simulated stats have been improved (e.g. fewer running backs gaining 2,000+ yards in one season)
- Return of Last-Gen Features: Grudge Match, Bluff Play Art, Set Audibles, Slide Protection, Formation Subs on play call.
- Madden Moments: re-play through a number of real-life situations that you will recognize from the 2007 season.
- Rivalries: rivalry games have special value, play-off games have more crowd and television intensity and different presentation elements.
- Total Control Animation System: this feature gives you the ability to break out of a tackle when a defender has you in his grasp. Use special moves such as Spin or Stiff Arm to break out of the tackle.
- Playbook Renovation: including team specific defensive playbook & new offense playbooks.
- User Celebrations: celebrate how you want with total control of your player (eg. Lambeau Leap, dunk ball over goal post, ram head-first into the wall like Gus Frerotte, etc.)
- Gameplay Tuning: lots of tuning items and smaller features aimed at getting gameplay feeling better and more realistic.
- Weather Specific Animations: weather will have visual effect on gameplay with slipping, sliding, and other animations specific to bad weather conditions.
- Other features: return missed field goals, bobble catches, pass tuning, set audibles, slide protection, bluff play art, smart routes, post play continuation, post play help-ups, ball carrier combo moves, live pre-play defense, new wrap-up tackling system, improved foot pinning, new catch system, gameplay slider, realistic fatigue, improved gang tackles, true penalty based animations, new fumble system, new player weapon types, new tackling engine & animations
- New Running/Ball-Carrier Engine: total control system, new transition system, character grounding with foot-plant, new procedural animation system, realistic momentum, new locomotion system, improved visuals and animations, left and right stick moves, directional diving....'''
Wii exclusive features
Madden NFL 09 All-Play
for the Wii
has several new exclusive features:
- 5 on 5 Mode : A new, faster paced arcade style football mode played on a smaller field. Ironically, one of the main sticking points John Madden demanded in a football video game before he put his name on it was that it had to be "real", 11-on-11 football.
- All New Playcalling: Three unique playbooks are available based on difficulty, ranging from Easy to Advanced.
- Call Your Shots: Call Your Shots allows the player to create his or her own plays on the fly and direct receivers where they should run, using the pointer function of the Wii Remote. It can be easily applied in-game by pressing the A button and drawing the corresponding player's route.
- Celebrate Your Success: Allows the player to use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to trigger celebrations after a touchdown or sack. By successfully doing this, players receive a small performance boost that enhances their gameplay. This mode is applied when you score a touchdown, sack a QB, or anything of the positive subject.
- Improved Tackling System: Swing the Wii Remote to deliver big hits.
DS exclusive features
- Fun, Accessible Family Play—Now anybody can dominate the game like a pro with all-new EA SPORTS Rookie Mode. Simplified playcalling controls and an easy-to-use passing system make Madden NFL 09 the most accessible football game ever.
- All-New Playcalling—Players of all skill levels can be competitive by calling plays from three unique playbooks, ranging from Easy to Advanced. Intelligent Coach Tips provide instant feedback to help you become a better player on the fly.
- Deliver Big Hits with Ease—Dominate on the defensive side of the ball with an all-new one-button control scheme featuring assisted player movement allowing new players to enjoy early success.
- New Player Indicators—Find the open man effortlessly with the help of new open receiver icons identifying who’s open or covered. Wide-open receivers help you out even more, calling for the ball by waving their arms. Player indicators also tell you when to evade an approaching defender or perform a crushing tackle.
- Wi-Fi Multiplayer Returns—Back by popular demand, play head-to-head against a friend over Wi- Fi, including single-card mode that allows you to challenge anyone with a Nintendo DS, or play with up to seven other players in Wireless mode.
- All-New Rec Room Mini-Games—Push your football skills to the limit with all-new mini-games made exclusively for the DS.
- Includes DGamer -the all new online community exclusively for Disney gamers. Create unique 3-D avatars, create a persistent profile, chat with friends in an NFL chat room, earn in-game honors and unlock exclusive Disney and ESPN content, including content only available to ESPN Insider subscribers.
PSP exclusive features
The PlayStation Portable
has many features different from other versions of Madden '09.
- Rookie mode : A feature for players that allows them to use only the X button to perform passes, Tackles and Big Hits.
- All New Defensive Camera : A new camera when you're on defense flipped 180 degrees from the original view. Instead of the camera facing the offense when you are playing defense, it faces the defense to immerse you in the action.
- All new player indicators : New Receiver icons that tell you if they are open or covered (shown green if open, red if covered). A new indicator tells you when to evade defenders or tackle a opposing player. A green dot indicates open receivers in Rookie mode, and red dots indicate covered receivers. Press X to evade and tackle in Rookie mode.
- Updated Superstar Challenge: The game mode from Madden NFL 08 PSP edition returns, updated with challenges from the 2007 NFL season.
While many of the songs are heavily edited, if you listen carefully to "We Made It" , you will hear Shit and Bitch still clearly.
Soundtrack (Spanish version)
On April 24, 2008, David Letterman revealed that then-retired former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre would be the cover athlete of Madden NFL 09 on the Late Show with David Letterman. Despite Favre's later unretirement and subsequent trade to the New York Jets about five days before Madden NFL 09 was officially released in North America, the game's cover still features Favre wearing a Packers uniform. Instead of reissuing the packaging, On August 11, 2008, EA made available a free alternate cover of Favre in a Jets uniform from their website that players are able to download and print. At first the new covers were available for all the consoles except the Xbox, Nintendo DS, and Wii, which use an alternate cover. On September 15, 2008, EA made available a cover shot specifically for the Wii that had Brett Favre as a Jet, but it was only a snap shot of the front cover and did not include the true layout for printing and replacing the insert that shipped with the game.
Favre is a playable character in every version of Madden NFL 09 except for the PS2 version on the "NFL Greats" roster. On the PSP edition, he is not on the Jets roster, but is available on a historic team, the 2007 Packers. Players can transfer Favre to the free agent roster pool, and pick him up on any of the 32 NFL teams for the 2008 NFL season. A roster update on August 12, 2008 places Favre on the New York Jets roster as their starting quarterback.
Like all other games of EA Sports' 09 Season, the "All Play" version of Madden seen on the Wii features a different photograph of Favre with different artwork than all other versions of the game.
The Anniversary Collector's Edition does not feature a cover athlete - it has a larger version of the Roman numeral XX logo shown in the top-left corner of the game's standard cover.
Roberto Garza, the starting guard for the Chicago Bears, will be the cover athlete for the Spanish language version, Madden NFL 09 en Español.
Play-by-play and color commentary is provided by Tom Hammond
and Cris Collinsworth
, respectively. Al Michaels
and John Madden
are still the play-by-play and color commentary for the Wii, PS2, PSP and Xbox versions. EA designers have confirmed that John Madden does play a part in Madden 09 as the person describing instructions to the Madden IQ. Madden guides the player on advice and other things to help raise his or her Madden IQ. Madden also appears in Mii
form in the Wii version of the game, suggesting plays to run in the game's "Madden's Pick" feature, with a specific reason so new players can learn to call their own plays.
EA's relationship with ESPN also enables tie-ins with different ESPN shows.
Madden NFL 09
for the Xbox 360 received a 9 out of 10 rating from Xbox Magazine
, as well as four out of five stars and Game of the Month
from PlayStation: The Official Magazine
. The Xbox 360
and PlayStation 3
versions got an 8.8/10 from IGN
and the Wii
version got an 8.6 out of 10, receiving only 0.2 points less than it's Sony and Microsoft counterparts from IGN
.com X-Play gave Madden 09 a 5 out of 5. GameSpot
gave Madden NFL 09
an 8 out of 10, for both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. GameSpot gave the Wii
Recently after the release of Madden NFL 09, consumers began reporting several freezing errors in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. EA has since confirmed the issue, and stated that they are working on a patch for the two consoles to locate the source of the freezing and fix the issue. However, this problem has caused many gamers to doubt the advantages of games being able to be patched on consoles, and instead gamers have criticized this 'feature' for allowing companies to rush games and rely on post-release patches to fix the issues that consumers themselves find.
On September 23, 2008, EA released a second patch update for Madden 2009. While press releases issued by EA suggested that the patch would resolve all freezing issues, the patch did not in fact address freezing problems associated with the game's "Franchise Mode." To date, there is no patch either available or announced to deal with the freezing problems that remain. Accordingly, some have suggested that the game's release might constitute consumer fraud in some form.