Most parts of the district have belonged to Bavaria from the 13th century on. The bishopric of Salzburg possessed some estates in the region as well. In 1803, when the clerical states of Holy Empire were dissolved, Bavaria annexed these estates.
The district is located in generally plain countryside on either bank of the Inn River.
|The coat of arms displays:|