Little Big Horn College was first opened in 1980 as the chartered school of the Crow Nation. Dr. Janine Pease advocated the college's beginning and is the college's first president. Under the 1994 Equity in Education legislation of the US Congress, Little Big Horn College became a Land Grant Institution, joining the ranks of the 1864 and 1890 land grant colleges. The college is member of the American Indian Higher Education Consortium. The name Little Big Horn comes from the smaller of the two rivers on the reservation, both receiving the distinction by the Big Horn Mountains, where the rivers originate.