List of historians by area of study
This is a list of historians categorized by their area of study
. See also List of historians
By time period
By nation or geographical area
See also List of Canadian historians.
See also Historians of the United States
- Stephen Ambrose (1936-2002) - Biographer of President Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Edward L. Ayers - U.S. South
- George Bancroft (1800-1891) - wrote first large-scale history of the US
- Charles A. Beard (1874-1948) - revisionist history of Founding Fathers suggesting monetary motivations
- William Brandon (1914–2002), historian of the American West and Native Americans.
- Alan Brinkley - Historian of the Great Depression
- Bruce Catton - American Civil War
- William Cronon - American environmental history, the frontier in New England, and the American West
- J. Frank Dobie - historian of Texas and the Southwestern United States
- David Herbert Donald
- W.E.B. Du Bois - historian of the Reconstruction
- Donald Fixico - Urban Indian identity
- Eric Foner - Civil War and Reconstruction
- Shelby Foote - (1916-2005) - American Civil War
- John Hope Franklin - historian of African Americans
- John A. Garraty
- Richard Hofstadter (1916-1970) - Progressivism and U.S. political history
- Peter Iverson - 20th century U.S. West/Native American history (emphasis in Navajo history)
- Winthrop Jordan- African-American history
- David Lavender (1910-2003) - Western U.S.
- David McCullough (1933- ) - general study, most notable work is recent biography of John Adams
- James M. McPherson - American Civil War
- D. W. Meinig - geographic history of America
- Gary Moulton - edited Lewis and Clark journals (The Definitive Nebraska Edition)
- David Nasaw - biography and U.S. cultural history
- Francis Parkman - Historian of the French and Indian War
- Harry W. Pfanz - American Civil War
- Dominic Sandbrook (1974-) - political history of the 1960s and 1970s
- Arthur Schlesinger Sr.
- Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
- Jean Edward Smith (1932- ) - biography, foreign policy, political economy, constitutional law, legal history, and politics
- Frederick Jackson Turner (1861-1932) - Developed the Frontier Thesis
- Frank Vandiver
- Alexander Scott Withers - Primary accounts of colonial western Virginia conflicts
- C. Vann Woodward (1908-1999) - Southern United States
- Howard Zinn (1922- ) - Political scientist and historian of the United States, often critical of common policies.
See also Historians of Latin America
History of the British Empire
- See also List of historians of the French Revolution.
- Tírechán's account, fl. 660s or 670s
- Flann Mainistrech, died 25 November 1056
- John Clyn, fl. 1333 - 1349
- Seán Mór Ó Dubhagáin, d.1372
- Adhamh Ó Cianáin
- Gilla Isa Mor mac Donnchadh MacFhirbhisigh, fl. 1390 – 1418
- Pilip Ballach Ó Duibhgeannáin, fl. 1579–1590
- Geoffrey Keating
- Mícheál Ó Cléirigh, c. 1590 – 1643
- Dubhaltach MacFhirbhisigh, fl. 1643 - 1671
- Sir James Ware, 1594 - 1666
- Mary Bonaventure Browne, Poor Clare and historian, b. after 1610, d. after 1670
- Ruaidhrí Ó Flaithbheartaigh, 1629-1718
- Eugene O'Curry, 20 November 1794 – 30 July 1862
- John O'Donovan, 25 July 1806 – 10 December 1861
- Father Paul Walsh, 19 June 1885 – 18 June 1941
- Dermot MacDermot, 1906-1989
- Kathleen Hughes, d. 20 April 1977
- F.X. Martin, 1922 – 13 February 2000
- Brian Farrell b. 1929
- Kenneth Nicholls
- Dáibhí Ó Cróinín
- Ann Buckley
- Nollaig Ó Muraíle
- Catherine Swift
- Ailbhe MacShamhráin
- Roger Absalom Sheffield Hallam University : Resistance, Fascism, Modern Italian History
- Piero Bevilacqua Università di Roma "Sapienza : The Italian South
- R.J.B. Bosworth University of Western Australia, Reading University UK : Fascism, Mussolini,Historiography of Fascism
- Giorgio Candeloro Modern Italian History
- Martin Clark University of Edinburgh: Modern Italian History
- Simona Colarizi Università di Roma "Sapienza : Modern Italian History
- Enzo Collotti Università di Firenze: Fascism
- Paul Corner Fascism
- Benedetto Croce Philosophy of History ,Modern Italian History
- Costantino De Felice Abruzzo , Molise
- Renzo De Felice Fascism,biographer of Mussolini
- Alexander De Grand Fascism
- Victoria De Grazia Fascism, Women under Fascism
- Giovanni De Luna Action Party
- John Dickie Italian South, Italian nationalism and national identities, cultural history of liberal Italy, cultural and critical theory, organized crime, Italian food.
- Jonathan Dunnage Modern Italian Social History
- Christopher Duggan Modern Italian History
- John Foot Modern Italy History, The City
- Emilio Gentile Fascism
- Antonio Gibelli First World War
- Paul Ginsborg Università di Firenze: Postwar Italian History , Venetian revolution 1848
- Carlo Ginzburg Witchcraft and Agrarian cults, Microhistory
- M Isnenghi First World War, Fascism
- Adrian Lyttelton Fascism, Modern Italian History
- Robert Lumley The Italian South
- Salvatore Lupo Fascism,The Mafia
- Philip Morgan Fascism
- Luisa Passerini Oral History, Fascism
- Claudio Pavone Italian fascism, World War II and of antifascism.
- John Pollard The Church and Fascism
- Giuliano Procacci Modern Italian History
- Lucy Riall The Risorgimento, Garibaldi, Sicily
- Gaetano Salvemini Fascism, The French Revolution
- Christopher Seton-Watson Modern Italian History
- Denis Mack Smith Italian Modern History
- F M Snowden Modern Italian History, Fascism
- Nicola Tranfaglia Modern Italian History, Fascism, Anti-fascism Historiography
- Perry Willson University of Dundee: Fascism , Women under fascism
- Ida Altman - Early modern Spain, colonial Latin America
- Maria Luisa Ávila-Medieval History, Spain, History of Muslim Spain, Women's History
- Robert I. Burns-Spain, Medieval History, History of Muslim Spain, Visigothic Spain
- Brian A Catlos-Spain, Medieval History, History of Muslim Spain
- Roger Collins-Medieval History, Spain, Visigothic Spain, History of Muslim Spain
- Olivia Remie Constable-Spain, Medieval History, Commercial History
- Hipólito Escolar-Spain, History of the Book
- Pierre Guichard-Spain, Medieval History, Visigothic Spain, History of Muslim Spain
- S.I Imamuddin-Spain, Medieval History, History of Muslim Spain
- Manuela Marin-Women's History, Social History, Spain, History of Muslim Spain
- Julian Ribera y Tarragó-Spain, History of the Book, Medieval History, History of Muslim Spain
- Samuel Miklos Stern-Spain, History of the Book, Medieval History, History of Muslim Spain, Literary History
By historical viewpoint
- Rob Brettle (1963- ) Co-founder Christian Mission Historical Society
- Harry Hayes - founder Salvation Army Philatelic Society
- Glenn Horridge - Co-founder Christian Mission Historical Society
- Niall Ferguson, Virtual History: Alternatives and Counterfactuals (1997).
- Paul Avrich, USA 1931-2006. (Oral-)History of the US and Russia
- David Berry, France, Movement in France.
- Murray Bookchin USA 1921-2006.Writer; Founder of "Social Ecology"
- Ronald Creagh Editor of "Research on Anarchism" the interactive website/data base in various languages. (France)
- Hans Jürgen Degen, Germany, Writer, Editor of "Lexikon der Anarchie"
- Sam Dolgoff USA 1902-1990, writer, activist, co-founder of Anarcho-Syndicalist Review.
- Sébastian Faure France, Encyclopedie Anarchiste, 4 volumes (1932-34)
- Joao Freire, Portugal, Movement of Portugal/CGT.
- Sharif Gemie, editor of "Anarchist Studies" (United Kingdom)
- David Goodway, (UK, writer, editor)
- Daniel Guerin, France 1904-1988. writer, editor Libertarian Communist
- Robert Graham, (USA, writer, editor)
- Andrej Grubacic, Bulgarian history and Anarchism, lecturer at University of San Francisco.
- Peter Marshall, England 1946, historian, philosopher, writer (of 'Demanding the Impossible. A History of Anarchism, 1992).
- Chuck W. Morse, USA, Writer, Founder of "Institute for Anarchist Studies/IAS.
- Max Nettlau, 1865-1944, Austria, writer of "Geschichte der Anarchie", seven volumes.
- Barry Pateman
- Alex Prichard
- Abel Paz, (Spain, Civilwar, Durruti, CNT/FAI)
- José Peirats, (Spain, Historian of the CNT/FAI)
- Jochen Schmück, Germany, Publisher, Founder of DadA - Datenbank des deutschsprachigen Anarchismus, webdata of German languages books on Anarchism and dadaweb.de.
- Alexandre Skirda
- Peter Staudenmaier
- Horst Stowasser, Germany, Founder of "AnArchiv", Anarchistisches Dokumentationszentrum, Writer.
- Antonio Tellez
- Dana Ward, Founder of "Anarchist Archives", Online Research on the History and Theory of Anarchism, (USA).
- George Woodcock
- Howard Zinn
By general category
- David Hogan Professor of Education at the University of Tasmania.
Academic protagonists in Australia's "history wars"
History of ideas, literature, and philosophy
History of international relations
- Harry Elmer Barnes
- Herbert Butterfield
- E. H. Carr
- Gordon A. Craig
- John Lewis Gaddis, historian of the Cold War.
- Ragnhild Hatton, historian of 17th and 18th century international relations
- Klaus Hildebrand
- Andreas Hillgruber
- Paul Kennedy, British historian, author of influential "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers"
- William L. Langer, (1896-1977)
- Eduard Mark
- Arno J. Mayer
- W.N. Medlicott
- Lewis Bernstein Namier
- Paul W. Schroeder, US historian, 19c European International Relations
- Jean Edward Smith
- A.J.P. Taylor (1906-1990) - Historian of European International Relations
- Harold Temperley, (1879-1939), British historian, Cambridge, 19c and early 20c century diplomatic history, "British Documents on the Origins of the War, 1898-1914" (ed.)
- Ernest Llewellyn Woodward, (1890-1971)
- Allen G. Debus, chemistry and medicine
- A. Hunter Dupree, botany; U.S. government policy on science and technology
- Peter Galison, physics, philosophy, objectivity
- John L. Heilbron, physics, quantification, astronomy, religion and science
- Richard L. Hills, technology, steam power
- Thomas P. Hughes, technology
- Evelyn Fox Keller, science and gender, biology
- Melvin Kranzberg, technology
- Daniel J. Kevles, science and politics, physics, biology, eugenics
- Thomas Kuhn, physics, "paradigm shifts"
- Stephen F. Mason, science
- David F. Noble, science & technology-based industrial development
- Abraham Pais, physics
- Theodore M. Porter
- A. I. Sabra, optics, Islamic science
- George Sarton
- M. Norton Wise