Here is a main list of communities in the territory of Yukon, Canada
. This list includes cities, towns, villages, and unincorporated communities.
Uninhabited former trading posts and First Nations communities
Mining ghost towns and Klondike communities
Spots on the map
Small Yukon places
The following is a list and short description of places in the Yukon that may often be found on various maps, but whose population is too small to warrant their having their own article.
is a former trading post
and First Nations
community on the Tatshenshini River
. It was on the Dalton Trail
near the Haines Highway
. Today, it is a prime Pacific salmon
fishing spot and serves as a base for whitewater rafting
expeditions on the Tatshenshini and Alsek Rivers
in the Tatshenshini-Alsek Park
was a settlement on Herschel Island, serving as a whaling station, North West Mounted Police post and Hudson's Bay Company store. It has been long abandoned, and shoreline erosion is threatening to wipe out the remaining buildings.
is a spot on the road, at historical mile 866 of the Alaska Highway
, at the junction with connections to the Tagish Road
and the Atlin Road
. There are a small number of area residents, the junction being best known for a gas station and café. The gas station has numerous examples of old machinery.
is a spot on the road, at historical mile 836 of the Alaska Highway
, at the junction of the Canol Road
where the highway crosses the Teslin River
. There are several area residents, and the junction is known for a café and gas station owned by a long-time Yukon family. The river below is crowded with Arctic Greyling
's more recent history is as a seasonal aboriginal fishing community, benefitting from a large Chinook salmon
run. Located near the Haines Highway
, it has no permanent population. Interpretive information is provided by the Champagne and Aishihik First Nations
is located on the Robert Campbell Highway
, and stretches along the lake of the same name and the Yukon River
. The only non-residential establishment is the Yukon government highway maintenance camp at Drury Creek
. It was formerly an important settlement of the Little Salmon/Carmacks First Nation
, a historic mining town, is today only the residence of a small number of people, one household being a bed and breakfast
establishment. It is located at historical mile 1053 of the Alaska Highway
is a former settlement at the juncture of the Yukon
and Stewart Rivers
. A few buildings and cabins remain, as well as private museum, which are threatened by erosion
. It was founded as a trading post in the 1880s before the Klondike Gold Rush
to serve placer miners working along the Stewart River. The Burian family was still living there in the late 1980s.
is located on the Klondike Highway
at the junction with the Silver Trail
. A Yukon government highway maintenance camp and a highway lodge are the most prominent facilities at the location, named for where the Mayo Road
, as it was then known, crossed the Stewart River by means of a ferry from 1950 until completion of a bridge in the mid-1950s. There are area residents employed in the local camp and businesses.
or Sulphur Creek
was a mining camp south-east of Dawson on a creek of the same name that flows into the Indian River. A post office was opened there on 1903
by G. W. Coffin. It was closed in July, 1922. The place is mentioned in Jack London
's story, Grit of Women
is basically a point on the road, a service stop on the Alaska Highway
at historical mile 733. The only permanent population owns and operates, or is employed at, the area's commercial highway establishment. Other residents are transient, working at the Yukon government's highway maintenance camp.
Communities in Canada's provinces and territories
- Robert G. Woodall, The Postal History of Yukon Territory Canada, Lawrence, MA, Quarterman, Revised edition, ©1976, ISBN0-88000-086-4