This is a list of many important or pivotal fictional figures in the history of the Warhammer Fantasy
These characters have appeared in the games set in the Warhammer world, the text accompanying various games and games material, novels by GW and later Black Library and other publications based on the Warhammer setting by other publishers.
Some have been produced as models, others have appeared only in text.
- Aenarion - First Phoenix King of the High Elves, whose skills were unrivalled amongst other mortals or immortals. He was granted incredible powers by his gods to combat the first great incursion of Chaos.
- Alarielle - Everqueen of Avelorn and spiritual leader of the High Elves.
- Eltharion - A Swordmaster and the only mortal to have ever wounded The Witch King.
- Finubar - current Phoenix King of the High Elves.
- Imrik - Prince of the High Elves and Dragon-tamer
- Teclis - Second most powerful living wizard in this age of the world to slann of the second era - his abilities are said to be on a par with those of Nagash the Black. Founder of the Colleges of Magic in Altdorf. Brother of Tyrion
- Tyrion - Defender of Ulthuan and brother of Teclis.
- Ariel - Queen of Athel Loren. Is one of the most powerful wizards in all Warhammer World. Ariel is a demi-goddess and the avatar of Isha.
- Drycha - A forest spirit that blames the Asrai for all of Athel Loren's woes.
- Naestra & Arahan - The mysterious Sister-twins of Athel Loren, who can command the forest.
- Orion - King of Athel Loren is a demi-god and avatar of Kurnuos. Is the Terror of many Bretonnian's towns because of his "Wild Hunt".
- Scarloc - An Asrai champion who, with the aid of his men, killed Morghur with "one hundred arrows".
Note: Both Ariel and Orion appear to be drawn from the fairy monarchs Oberon and Titania of William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Aekold Helbrass - Aekold Helbrass was a member of the Templar Order of the Jade Griffon, but he pledged his eternal loyalty to Tzeentch.
- Arbaal the Undefeated - Chosen champion of Khorne, he rides upon Khorne's personal hound and wields the Destroyer of Khorne, a powerful axe.
- Archaon - The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times. Archaon led the latest invasion of the Empire in the worldwide campaign Storm of Chaos. He dueled Valten, champion of Sigmar, in battle during the Battle of Middenheim - but was then defeated by the Black Orc warlord Grimgor Ironhide and forced to quit the battlefield.
- Azazel, Prince of Damnation - Azazel was the chief of Gerreon tribe, one of the twelve great tribes that followed Sigmar. Azazel betrayed his mighty liege-lord, Sigmar and fled to the Northern Wastes, where he pledged his eternal loyalty to Slaanesh. For his treachery he was elevated to the state of deamonhood. This history differs in the novels, where Gerreon is brother to one of Sigmar's dearest friends. Upon this friends death in battle, Gerreon grew to hate Sigmar, eventually betraying Sigmar, nearly killing him; Sigmar's first love Ravenna also died on Gerreon's blade.
- Be'lakor - The Harbinger, He Who Heralds the Conquerors, The shadowe master of Mordheim. The first Daemon Prince of Chaos, cursed by the god Tzeentch to crown the Everchosen.
- Crom the Conqueror - A powerful warlord, Vardek Crom is allied with Archaon. During the Storm of Chaos, Crom led his army to attack the Empire from the east while Archaon attacked from the north. Vardek Crom also defeated WAAAGH! Grimgor in the beginning of the campaign.
- Egrimm von Horstmann - Von Horstmann was a wizard of the Light College who had pledged his soul to the Chaos god Tzeentch in return for increased magical power. He rose quickly through the ranks, and corrupted many of his brethren before being found out by the Light wizard Vespasian Kant. Facing both the remainders of the Light College and the Church of Sigmar, he fled to the Chaos Wastes on the back of the Twin-Headed Chaos Dragon Baudros. He dwells there still, leading The Cabal, the most powerful cult of Tzeentch in the World.
- Galrauch - First of the Chaos Dragons, Father of all chaos dragons. He mutated into a chaos dragon after he slew a greater deamon of Tzeentch. His noble spirit still battles for control of his body and from time to time does.
- Gorthor - A Beastlord that is unafraid of killing Shamans. He has a cloak made out of the flayed hides of shamans he has slain.
- Khazrak - Said to be the most dangerous of all the beastlords in the Drakwald.
- Morghur - Spreads Chaos wherever he goes. His presence can cause those nearby to mutate horrendeously.
- Harald Hammerstorm - "Harry the Hammer" is a legendary chaos warrior, roaming the Chaos Wastelands searching for more of the undead to slay. He has an eternal grudge against any of the undead. This character was on the cover of Warhammer 1st Edition.
Orc and Goblin
- Azhag the Slaughterer - Orc warlord, victor of the Battle for Butcher's Hill, he retrieved the Crown of Sorcery (created by Nagash) from a Chaos Troll's hoard.
- Gorbad Ironclaw - Orc Warboss, leader of the Ironskin Tribe. He destroyed the Imperial province of Solland, taking its Elector Count's Runefang and besieged the Imperial capital, Altdorf. He is proclaimed as the greatest orc that ever lived.
- Gorfang Rotgut - Chieftain of the Orcs of Black Crag, the ancient Dwarf hold taken over by Orcs many years ago.
- Grimgor Ironhide - Black Orc Warboss, Defeated Archaon the everchosen during storm of chaos.
- Grom the Paunch - Goblin Leader, sacked the Empire and invaded Ulthuan.
- Morglum Necksnapper - Black Orc Warlord.
- Snarsnik & Gobbla - Night Goblin warlord, king of Karak Eight Peaks, a night goblin-conquered dwarf hold. Gobbla is his pet squig.
- Garagrim Ironfist - The son of Ungrim Ironfist, Garagrim had devised a plan to rid his family line of its dishonour. By dying in combat as his father's champion, Garagrim believed he would prove the worthiness of the bloodline. He was killed when a chaos giant fell on him as it died, thus fulfilling his slayer vow.
- Gotrek Gurnisson - Slayer whose exploits are chronicled in the Gotrek and Felix series of books. His companion is the human Felix Jaeger.
- Grimnir - Ancient dwarf god, who legend says carried two huge axes and wandered into the chaos wastes to do battle. He was never seen again. One of his axes now belongs to the dwarf high king Thorgrim Grudgebearer, the other reputedly belongs to Gotrek Gurnisson.
- Grombrindal, the White Dwarf - A white-bearded dwarf hero, who is also known as Snorri Whitebeard and is taken from the emblem of White Dwarf magazine.
- Josef Bugman - The greatest dwarf master brewer of all time, his brewey was destroyed by a band of marauding Goblins and he now wanders the world with his band of rangers hunting and killing Goblins wherever they find them.
- Ungrim Ironfist - Dwarf "Slayer King" and ruler of Karak Kadrin also known as the Slayer Keep.
- Thorgrim Grudgebearer - Dwarf High King and King of Karaz-A-Karak as well as Keeper of the Great Book of Grudges.
- King Kazador - Dwarf King of Karak Azul, the last of the once wealthy southern holds to remain in Dwarf hands.
- Malakai Makaisson - Slayer Engineer. Possibly one of the most brilliant engineers alive, but also quite mad. He claims he will prove his theories or die trying. He took the slayers crest when one of his experiment airship the indistructable killed a score of dwarfs.
- Alaric the Mad - Runesmith, perhaps the greatest to ever live, he eventually went insane after crafting the Nemesis Crown. He created the 12 Runefangs given to the Elector Counts of the Empire. Sigmar was aided several times throughout his life by a dwarf named Alaric after he rescued the Dwarven King Kurgan Ironbeard, it was Kurgan who gifted him with Ghal-maraz(Skull-Splitter.) Due to his habit of aiding humans, other Dwarves dubbed him 'Alaric the Mad'.
- Snorri Nosebiter - Slayer who is friend to Gotrek Gurnisson and aids him occasionally.
- Balthasar Gelt - Supreme Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic and Patriarch of the Gold Order.
- Borgio the Besieger - Mercenary-prince of Miragliano in Tilea. Famed for being notoriously hard to kill, until his assassination with a poisoned toasting fork.
- Boris Todbringer - Elector Count of Middenland.
- Constant Drachenfels - The "Great Enchanter". One of the most powerful wizards who ever lived.
- Detlef Sierck - The greatest living playwright, and lover of Genevieve Dieudonne.
- Fay Enchantress - The highest mage of the Bretonnian realm. Her fury is legendary. Rides a Unicorn.
- Felix Jaeger - Adventurer, poet Accompanies the dwarven slayer Gotrek Gurnisson, as chronicled in the Trollslayer series of books
- The Green Knight - A Spectre, whether he is the spirit of Bretonnia given form, or Gilles le Breton is debated.
- Karl Franz - Current Emperor of the Empire.
- Kurt Helborg - Captain of the Reichsguard Knights, Reichsmarshall of the Imperial armed forces.
- Lorenzo Lupo - Mercenary-prince of the city of Lucinni in Tilea. Possibly modeled on the Roman Hercules, for his incredible physique and training programmes.
- Louen Leoncoeur - Current King of Bretonnia.
- Ludwig Schwarzhelm - The Emperor's Champion and Imperial Standard Bearer.
- Luthor Huss - Prophet of Sigmar. Took Valten under his wing and convinced the Emperor of Valten's divine blood.
- Magnus the Pious - the Emperor that re-unified the Empire and allowed the creation of the Colleges of Magic.
- Sigmar Heldenhammer - Deified founder of the Empire. Nowadays worshipped as a god.
- Tzarina Katarin - Current Queen of Kislev.
- Valten - The avatar of Sigmar. He was critically wounded by Archaon and went missing. The sickbed on which he had been resting was covered in blood, a Skaven symbol had been carved in the wall, and a "dark, glowing, serrated blade" had been stabbed into the bed. It was confirmed recently in the Loathsome Ratmen and their Vile Kin that it was indeed the Skaven who assassinated Valten.
- Vladimir von Raukov - Elector Count of Ostland.
- Abhorash - The father of the Blood Dragon bloodline of vampires and the only master vampire to unwillingly take the elixir of eternal life. Abhorash scaled on top of great mountain and a red dragon of immense size emerged from the crater and descended upon the Vampire Lord. The two fought the entire night and in the end the Vampire was victorious. As the dragon lashed in its death throes, Abhorash seized its throat with his fangs and drank deep. Intoxicated by the blood of the dragon Abhorash cast the carcass of the broken creature down from the mountain top. Because of the dragon's blood, he no longer needs the blood of human men.
- Arkhan the Black - Former lieutenant of Nagash when living, raised as undead and continued to serve.
- Dieter Hellsnicht, Doomlord of Middenheim - A necromancer and leader of an undead army around 1270 IC.
- Genevieve Dieudonné - a vampire who appears in a number of novels by Jack Yeovil. Unusual as an undead character as she can most often be found trying to preserve the realms of humans against evil, rather than destroy them.
- Heinrich Kemmler, the Lichemaster - A mighty necromancer. It is currently rumored that he is a puppet of Nagash.
- Khalida Neferher - High Queen of Tomb Kings.
- Krell - Once a Chaos warrior, later an undead lieutenant of Kemmler.
- Lady Melissa d'Arques - A vampire who is over 1100 years old and is one of the oldest vampires in exsistance, she is also a member of the Vampire Council under Elder Honorio and is the Grandmother in Darkness of Genevieve Dieudonné who is her Grand Get.
- Luthor Harkon - a vampire of the Von Carstein bloodline who was shipwrecked on the coast of Lustria and founded an undead realm using lost sailors in the area now known as the Vampire Coast.
- Nagash - First and greatest of necromancers, and one of the three greatest magic users in the entire world. Nagash created the entire scourge of undeath and introduced it to the world, and is likely the most powerful "undead" present.
- Neferata - Mother of the Lahmia bloodline of vampires and previous queen of all the seven original vampire masters. She currently resides in the Silver Pinnacle.
- Settra - The First and Eternal king of all Tomb Kings. he founded the liche priest cult and was the first king to be preserved. Hates all vampires.
- Ushoran - Father of the Strigoi bloodline of vampires. He is believed to be killed in the invasion of the capital of his kingdom of Strigos.
- the Von Carstein vampires
- Vlad - A powerful vampire count, killed at the Siege of Altdorf by the Grand Theogonist. Possibly the father of the von Carstein bloodline of vampires.
- Isabella - The wife of Vlad von Carstein, who committed suicide at the Siege of Altdorf once she heard her beloved Vlad was killed. She did this as she did not wish to carry on her unlife with out him.
- Mannfred - A descendant of Vlad and a powerful magician defeated but not necessarily killed at the "Battle of Hel Fenn".
- Konrad - Another descendent of Vlad and utterly, irredeemably insane. Presumed dead.
- W'soran - The father of the Necrarch bloodline of vampires and the only master vampire to stay loyal to Nagash.
- Zacharias the Everliving - A powerful Necrarch vampire.
- Melkhior - A powerful Necrarch vampire, student and slayer of W'Soran and former mentor of Zacharias the Everliving. Believed to have been destroyed by Zacharias.
- Walach - the favourite of Abhorash’s minions, he ruled Blood Keep and was Grand Master of the Blood Knights until Blood Keep was razed by the templars and witch hunters of the Empire during a lengthy siege.
- Deathmaster Snikch - Deathmaster Snikch is the chief assassin and prime agent of Lord Sneek, Lord of Decay and Nightlord of clan Eshin. Possible murderer of Valten
- Grey Seer Thanquol - Thanquol is one of the most powerful and active of the Grey Seers. He is always accompanied by Boneripper, his mechanized undead Rat Ogre. Though he is supremely cunning and a masterful schemer, his plans are nearly always thwarted by Felix Jaegar and Gotrek Gurnisson, and he hates and fears them in equal measure. He has appeared in numerous 'Felix and Gotrek' novels, and a fleeting appearance in 'Manslayer' hints at his return.
- Ikit Claw - Ikit Claw has dedicated his long life to the study of all forms of magery, including the spells of Men and Elves. His loyalty is to clan Skryre.
- Lord Skrolk - Skrolk was a simple Plague Monk at the beginning of his life, but his devotion to the Horned Rat aided him in the long struggle for power, eventually leading him to Skavenblight to offer his services to Nurglitch, the seventh Arch-Plaguelord.
- Thrott the Unclean - Master mutator of Clan Moulder. Possesses a warpstone eye and three arms, which prove an advantage in combat, as he can wield both a mancatcher and sword at once
- Warlord Queek - Warlord Queek the Head-taker is the right claw of Warlord Gnawdwell, the ruler of Clan Mors and the City of Pillars. Gnawdwell is one of the Lords of Decay and without doubt one of the most powerful warlords in the Under-Empire.
- Greasus Goldtooth - Tradelord Greasus Tribestealer Drakecrush Hoardmaster Goldtooth the Shockingly Obese. Overtyrant of the Goldtooth tribe and the area surrounding his kingdom. The most successful tyrant yet in the Mountains of Mourn
- Skrag the Slaughterer - a downcast Ogre Butcher and Prophet of the Great Maw
- Jhared the Red - the first true Ogre Hunter. Covered in thick red hair all over his body
- Golgfag Maneater - Mercenary captain and the first Ogre to coin the phrase Maneater
- Lord Mazdamundi - The most senior living Slann in the world. The most powerful living mage in the world.Speculated to have caused great damage to the early Dwarf empire in the distant past with his geomantic magics.
- Venerable Lord Kroak - The most powerful mage still in the known world. Greatest of the first generation of the Slann, though his powers are a shadow of what they once were due to his death in ancient times. Exists today only as a mummified relic within which his formidable spirit still lingers.
- Kroq-gar - One of the three greatest Saurus warriors and perhaps the greatest warrior in the world, he was spawned in Xhotl and hunts down chaos warriors as an outrider.
- Nakai - A Kroxigor from the first spawning, known to have killed legions of Chaos worshipers and Daemons as well as Dwarfs in the battles of Itza and Albion.
- Tehenauin - leads the faithful of Sotek in ceaselesswars against the vile Skaven of Clan Pestilens.