The history of the Russian Orthodox Church begins with the Baptism of Rus' at Kiev in 988. In 1316 the Metropolitan of Kiev changed his see to the city of Vladimir, and in 1322 moved again to Moscow. In 1589, the see was elevated to a Patriarchate. The Patriarchate was abolished by Peter the Great in 1721 and replaced by the Holy Governing Synod, and the Bishop of Moscow came to be called a Metropolitan again. The Patriarchate was restored in 1917.
The following is a list of The Russian Orthodox Metropolitans of Moscow and Patriarchs of Moscow and all Russia along with when they served: