Lier (Lierre) is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Antwerp. The municipality comprises the city of Lier proper and the village of Koningshooikt. On January 1 2006 Lier had a total population of 33,272. The total area is 49.70 km² which gives a population density of 669 inhabitants per km².
Lier is known for its beers 'Caves', 'St. Gummarus' and the pastry 'Lierse vlaaikes'. It is also home to Van Hool, one of the largest manufacturers of buses and coaches.
Football clubs Lierse S.K. (Belgian Second Division) and K. Lyra T.S.V. (promotion) are based in Lier. Actually, Lyra is the Latin name for Lier.
The patron saint of Lier is St. Gummarus
Places of interest
Nightlife in the city of Lier
- Lier is a very famous nightlife centre in Flanders. The discotheques are well-known as far as The Netherlands. The most important ones are Illusion and La Rocca. Cafés in Lier are used as bases to start your night. The cafés are located inside the city, and most of all around the Zimmerplein, like Banana's, 't Swingcafé and De Fagoempel! Cafés such as De Fagoempel are known by all who live in Lier.
Famous Lier people
- Anton Bergmann, lawyer and writer
- Cornelis de Bie, lawyer and writer
- Jan Ceulemans, football player
- Jean-Baptist David, kanunnik and founder of the Davidsfonds
- Patrick Dewael, politician, former Minister-President of Flanders
- Isidoor Opsomer, painter
- Felix Timmermans, Flemish writer and painter
- Lodewijck Van Boeckel, ornamental smith
- Herman Van Breda, founder of the Husserl archive
- Herman Vanderpoorten, politician (1922-1984)
- Marc Zabeau (b. Lier, 1949), scientist and businessman.