The Lester F. Larsen Tractor Test and Power Museum
is an historical facility located on the East Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
in Lincoln, Nebraska
, United States
. The museum was established in 1980 and is dedicated to preserving and documenting the history of Nebraska
test law (dating from 1919) which "began as a law to protect others from irresponsible tractor companies failing to keep the best interest of the farmer in mind."1
Today it remains the sole museum in the United States dedicated to tractor testing.2
The Nebraska tractor testing law had its roots from 1918 when Polk County farmer W.F. Crozier purchased a 1909 Ford B Tractor and was disappointed in its performance. Crozier then worked with Nebraska State Senator Charles Warner to help establish the law, requiring the state of Nebraska to test all tractors to be sold within the state to ensure that their performance lived up to advertised claims.2 The Waterloo Boy tractor was the first to successfully complete the testing process in 1920.3
Since 1919, the state continues to test tractors to ensure reliability standards. The testing facility and test track themselves are located immediately west of the museum and the present site of the museum was previously used as a testing garage until a larger more capable facility was constructed.
The museums collection includes 40 antique tractors including...
The 1909 Ford B Tractor (whose subsequent poor performance led to the state's testing law)
Waterloo Boy Tractor
1918 Moline Universal D
Allis Chalmers WC
Fordson "F" Model Tractor
University of Nebraska-Lincoln