Le Régiment de Maisonneuve is a Primary Reserve infantry regiment of the Canadian Forces. Le Régiment de Maisonneuve are Canada's twenty-sixth most senior Reserve Infantry regiment, and comprises one battalion serving as part of the Land Force Reserve.
The regiment was founded in 1880 by Lieutenant-Colonel Julien Brosseau VD as the 85th Infantry Battalion. In 1900, the unit was redesignated the 85th Infantry Regiment.
In 1914 the 85th Infantry Regiment recruited volunteers for the Canadian Expeditionary Force, includind the 85th Battalion, CEF, who along with other units were merged to create the first francophone infantry unit, the Royal 22e Régiment.
In 1920, as part of the Otter Committee's reforms, the 85th Battalion was restructured and renamed the Régiment de Maisonneuve, in memory of the founder of Montreal.
The regiment was not selected to participate in the Dieppe Raid. The battalion landed in France on 6 July, 1944 and fought throughout the Battle of Normandy with the 5th Brigade. It suffered heavy casualties in the Battle of the Scheldt, and was notably depleted by the time of the Battle of Walcheren Causeway. The unit recovered during the winter and was again in action during the Rhineland fighting and the final weeks of the war, taking part in the final campaigns in northern Netherlands, the Battle of Groningen, and the final attacks on German soil.
The unit returned to Canada in late 1945.
In 1962 the city of Montreal accord the regiment the Freedom of the City as well as the right to bear arms on its regimental flag. A tradition of the unit assigned to the Regiment of the city, it was normal that it could indicate proudly.
The unit celebrated its centennial in 1980 and published a history . In 1983, the unit moved from District Number 1 to District Number 2 in Quebec. On 1 September 1991, the regiment transferred to the new district Number 1.
1994 - The Regiment is affiliated Maisonneuve in July to HMCS Montreal, the new frigate of the Canadian Navy.