Lattelecom is a former state-owned telecommunications company. In 1994, 49% of the company's stock was sold to two foreign investors, Cable and Wireless and Telecom Finland, which is now part of TeliaSonera. Cable and Wireless later sold its stake to TeliaSonera, which now owns 49% of the company. The remaining 51% of the company still belongs to Latvian government.
Until relatively recently, Lattelecom had a monopoly rights on fixed-line voice communications in Latvia, which ended on January 1, 2003. The Latvian fixed telecommunications market is now open to competition but Lattelecom still has an overwhelming share of the market, and the company is also one of leading internet service providers in Latvia and is one of the owners of Latvijas Mobilais Telefons, Latvia's largest cell phone operator.
The Lattelecom Group is the leading provider of electronic communications services in Latvia that offers electronic communication solutions for home, small and medium size businesses, state and municipal institutions, as well as for corporate clients.
In May, 2006, the corporate brand and name was changed to Lattelecom. Changing the brand of the company allegedly produced some advantages - a unified and powerful brand strengthens the reputation of the whole concern and helps the company to compete more successfully in different markets. In the long-term, the brand provides an added value for new products, fosters the development of partner relationships with other enterprises, helps human resource activities and serves as a symbol of quality, trustworthiness, and guarantee for customers.
The disadvantage of the new brand is however that "Lattelecom" cannot be pronounced correctly in Latvian if pronounced according to Latvian language rules. The "c" in Latvian is generally pronounced as a sort of "ts". This lead to considerable confusion with Lattelecom employees and customers as the "telecom" part of the brand was not recognizable in Latvian as being related to telecommunication services. The Lattelecom group provides IT, telecommunication and outsourced business process solutions that are provided by all of the companies of the group. Lattelecom Group is made up of six companies - SIA Lattelecom, Lattelecom BPO, Citrus Solutions, Lattelecom Technology with its subsidiary Baltic Computer Academy and LSS.
Lattelecom starts seven new IPTV thematic packages.(LATIVIA)(Lattelecom Interactive TV)(internet protocol television)(Brief article)
Mar 01, 2010; Latvian Internet Protocol television (IPTV) service provider Lattelecom Interactive TV has started seven new thematic...
Lattelecom and Huawei ink fiber-optic node deal.(FIBER OPTICS)(Huawei Technologies Company Ltd. contract with Lattelecom)(Brief article)
Sep 01, 2010; Latvian incumbent Lattelecom announced that it has selected Huawei Technologies to supply access nodes for its fiber-optic...