is a town in northern Tasmania
, situated on the Mersey River
. It lies 8 km
south-east of Devonport
on the Bass Highway
. It is main centre of the Latrobe Council
The area was first settled by B. B. Thomas in 1826 and, in 1861, the settlement was named for Charles Joseph Latrobe (1801-1875), the administrator of the colony of Tasmania.
The town has a population of 2690 (2001 census)