While the offices of senior Privy Council Office officials remain in the Langevin Block, its use is now largely limited to the Prime Minister's Office, where the Prime Minister maintains his or her personal office, in addition to his or her office in the Centre Block of the parliament buildings.
Completed in 1889, the block was the first federal government office building constructed outside the Parliament Hill precinct. It occupies a prominent place on Ottawa's Wellington Street, adjacent to the National War Memorial, Chateau Laurier, Government Conference Centre, Rideau Canal, National Arts Centre, and the Sparks Street Mall. Originally named the Southwest Departmental Building, its current name comes from Sir Hector-Louis Langevin, the Public Works Minister in the Cabinet of Sir John A. Macdonald.
The structure is distinctive in Ottawa for its Second Empire Style design, when most government buildings from the period were in Gothic Revival style. It was designed by Chief Dominion Architect Thomas Fuller, who also did the original Parliament Buildings.
Canada's new science adviser hopes for good chemistry: Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin created the post of national science adviser--and chose a British-born chemist who has shown that basic research can pay off.(Profile: Arthur Carty)(Biography)
Jan 23, 2004; OTTAWA -- Canadian scientists are about to place their hopes--somewhat nervously--on Arthur Carty, a British-born organometallic...