Kvalserien, or formally Kvalserien till Elitserien, is the name of a Swedish round-robin ice hockey tournament to qualify for play in next season of Elitserien.
Kvalserien is formed after the regular seasons of Elitserien and HockeyAllsvenskan
are played. The two worst ranked teams in Elitserien and the best three teams in HockeyAllsvenskan form the league together with the winner of a two-round playoff tournament between the next four best teams (4th—7th) from HockeyAllsvenskan. The six teams play each other twice and the two teams finishing first and second are promoted to Elitserien next season. The remaining four are relegated to HockeyAllsvenskan.
Previous Kvalserien winner(s)
- 1999 - Linköpings HC, Västerås IK
- 2000 - Timrå IK, IF Björklöven
- 2001 - Södertälje SK, Linköpings HC
- 2002 - Timrå IK, Leksands IF
- 2003 - Linköpings HC, Brynäs IF
- 2004 - MIF Redhawks, Mora IK
- 2005 - Leksands IF, Brynäs IF
- 2006 - IF Malmö Redhawks, Skellefteå AIK
- 2007 - Skellefteå AIK, Södertälje SK
- 2008 - Brynäs IF, Rögle BK
During Kvalserien 2006 Malmö Redhawks
and Skellefteå AIK
won the league and qualified for play in Elitserien in the 2006-07 season. Södertälje SK
and Leksands IF
were relegated from Elitserien and spent the 2006-07 season in HockeyAllsvenskan.
Kvalserien of the 2007 season was played from March 9
to April 1
. Participating teams were Skellefteå AIK
and Malmö Redhawks
from Elitserien and Södertälje SK
, Rögle BK
, Leksands IF
and IF Björklöven
from HockeyAllsvenskan. The two teams ending up in first and second spot were Skellefteå AIK and Södertälje SK, and thereby they qualified for play in Elitserien in the 2007-08 season.