Until 1955 known under a secret name "Laboratory No. 2 of the USSR Academy of Sciences", the Kurchatov Institute was founded in 1943 with the initial purpose to develop nuclear weapons. The majority of Soviet nuclear reactors were designed in the Institute. Since 1955 it was also the host for major scientific experimental work in fields of thermonuclear fusion and plasma physics. In particular, first tokamak systems were developed there, the most successful of them being T-3 and its larger version T-4. T-4 was tested in 1968 in Novosibirsk, conducting the first quasistationary thermonuclear fusion reaction ever. Until 1991, the Ministry of Atomic Energy oversaw the Kurchatov Institute's administration. After the transformation into the State Scientific Center in November 1991, the Institute became subordinated directly to the Russian Government. According to the Institute's Charter, the Institute's president is appointed by the prime minister based on recommendations from Rosatom. In February 2005 Mikhail Kovalchuk was appointed director of the institute.
In February 2007 the Kurchatov Institute won the tender to be the main organization coordinating efforts in nanotechnology in Russia.
Thorium Power Signs New Agreement With Russia's Kurchatov Institute ; Reconfirms Strategic R&D Relationship and Secures Worldwide Rights to Technical Data
Dec 31, 2007; MCLEAN, VAMarketwire - December 31, 2007) - Thorium Power, Ltd. (OTCBB: THPW), the leading developer of low-waste, non-...