Brasseries Kronenbourg is a French brewery founded in 1664 by Jérôme Hatt in Strasbourg.
Jérôme Hatt, who obtained his Master Brewer
's certificate in 1664, started up the Canon Brewery in the Place du Corbeau in Strasbourg
. His son Claude (born November 1665), succeeded his father in the trade in 1683. However, the frequent flooding of the River Ill
compelled a move to the higher terrain of Cronenbourg
In 1922, the Hatt Brewery changed its name to Tigre Bock, the most well-known brand of the Tiger Brewery it had acquired to become the leading brewer in Alsace. Following the Second World War, "Kronenbourg" became the name of the company, and began international expansion.
Originally Kronenbourg brewed ale, but it is now known for lagers. Kronenbourg is the leading brand of beer in France, where it had a 40% market share in 2004. In 1970, it was acquired by industrial group BSN (now Groupe Danone), along with the Société Européenne de Brasseries (Kanterbräu). In 1986, Kronenbourg merged with Kanterbräu.
British company Scottish and Newcastle (S&N) plc acquired it in 2000 for £1.7 billion.
Its main breweries are located in Obernai and in Champigneulles, although the Champigneulles site is now up for sale. Kronenbourg 1664 is also brewed in the UK by S&N at its Berkshire and Manchester (Royal) breweries. The 1664 brewed in the UK at 5.0% ABV is weaker than that available in France at 5.5% ABV.
Unlike German beers which comply with the Reinheitsgebot, Kronenburg adds caramel for colouring.
The main brands are:
- Kronenbourg 1664 a 5.0% abv (UK) 5.5% (France) pale lager. Marketed as a premium brand, 1664 is available throughout Europe and is the best selling beer in France. As well as Strasbourg, 1664 is brewed in Manchester, Cork, and Reading. Advertised as originally brewed in 1664 it uses the Strisselspalt hop - a French aroma hop from Alsace, used mostly in pale lagers. Similar to Herbrucker.
- 1664 Brune is a stronger, dark version of 1664.
- Single Malt (French name Malt d'Exception), 6.1% abv.
- Kronenbourg Blanc 5.0% abv. A fruity imported white beer with citrus notes. Available on draught and in 300ml and 500ml bottles.
- Kronenbourg Premier Cru 6.0% abv. Blue 500ML Bottle
- Kronenbourg Cold Premier 5.0% - a super chilled variant on 1664, draught only, UK
- Kronenbourg Red 4.2% abv.