Kingswood-Oxford School is a private day school located 170 Kingswood Road in West Hartford, Connecticut. Originally two separate schools--Kingswood for the boys and Oxford for the girls--it is now a co-ed school for grades 6 through 12. K-O refers to its grades as Upper Prep for grade 6 and then Forms 1 through 6 for grades 7 through 12, respectively. K-O employs over 120 teachers as well as administrative, library, maintenance and cafeteria staff.
The school is well-regarded for its academic program in the Greater Hartford area, and regularly places graduates Ivy League universities such as Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, as well as liberal arts institutions such as Amherst College, Bates College, Bowdoin College, Colby College, Middlebury College, and Williams College .
K-O students continually score exceedingly well on Advanced Placement exams, placing as one of the top achievers on AP tests among Connecticut High Schools.]
Student groups at K-O range from a newspaper (the K-O News), a literary magazine, and a student run yearbook to multicultural and community service organizations. K-O's debate and public speaking club (the Forensic Union) has won numerous tournaments in the Debating Association of New England Independent Schools (DANEIS, www.daneis.org) and placed highly in international competitions such as the World Individual Debating and Public Speaking Championship.
Kingswood-Oxford was founded in 1909. K-O's school colors are crimson and black, and the school mascot is a Wyvern, a huge mythical winged dragon with an eagle's claws and a serpent's tail.
Kingswood-Oxford was one of the nation's first independent day schools. Founders Mary Martin (Oxford School - 1909) and George R. H. Nicholson (Kingswood School - 1916) supported the statement made in an early 1900s issue of The American Country Day School Journal that "wise parents know they must share with teachers the shaping of the minds and character of young people." Throughout its combined history, K-O has provided parents with numerous opportunities to participate actively in their children's education.
Miss Martin opened Oxford School at her home on Oxford Street in Hartford's West End. In 1924, the School moved to 695 Prospect in West Hartford. The Prospect Street site became the permanent home of Oxford and served as the home of Kingswood-Oxford's Middle School until the Estes Middle School was built on campus of the Upper School. In 2008 two houses on the K-O campus affectionately called the Third and Forth houses will be knocked down and make room for a new Math and Science building.
Mr. Nicholson established the Kingswood School seven years later. He named the School for his alma mater in Bath, England. Kingswood School inherited some of the traditions of the English school, including the School's crest, motto. colors and distinctive symbol, the Wyvern.
Strong enrollments and leaders as well as steady growth in program and facilities marked the legacy of both schools until their merger in 1969. At the time of the merger, Kingswood-Oxford adopted the Oxford School motto: Vincit Qui Se Vincit - One Conquers by Conquering Oneself. Kingswood's motto had been, "In via Recta Celeriter" (In the right direction swiftly).
K-O's current Head of School is Mr. Dennis Bisgaard, who between 1994 and 2000 was an administrator at Collegiate School, where Dr. Lee M. Levison, K-O's former Head, now serves as Headmaster. While at Collegiate School, Dennis Bisgaard founded and directed the Collegiate School Teaching Institute. In 2000, Dennis Bisgaard was appointed Associate Director at Shady Hill School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Kingswood line of Headmasters Include Mr. Nicholson, Merritt A. (Gramp) Hewitt, and Nelson P. Farquhar.
K-o is a great school-Ian judge