King's College is an independent secondary school in New Zealand. It was originally a boys-only school but now also admits girls in the sixth and seventh forms (Years 12 and 13). The school has strong links to the Anglican church; the Anglican Bishop of Auckland and the Dean of Auckland are permanent members of the school's Board Of Governors. The school caters for both boarding and day students.
All students are organised into Houses, which form separate communities within the College, and compete amongst themselves for numerous trophies and the much sought Merritt and Tucker Shields. Boys' boarding houses include Averill (weekly boarders), Parnell (full boarders), School (full), Selwyn (weekly and full), and St. John's (full). Boys' day houses (known as 'Townhouses') are Greenbank, Major, Marsden and Peart. The Girl's houses are Middlemore (weekly and full), and Taylor (day).
The school was founded in 1896 by Graham Bruce, and was originally situated in Remuera, Auckland on the site now occupied by The King's School, Remuera. In 1922 the school moved to its present site in the South Auckland region of Otahuhu.
The school, like some others in New Zealand, offers students the A-Level GCE (Advanced Level General Certificate of Education) and the IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education) as well as the New Zealand NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement).
Additionally, the school actively co-ordinates a voluntary community service programme which aids the South Auckland community (and more) around where the school is located. Some of the types of community service that students offer are visiting the local refugee centre, helping out at Middlemore Hospital with reception duties and helping pupils at local schools learn to read.
The current headmaster of King's College is Roy Kelley who replaced the former headmaster John Taylor in 2003.