Kennebecasis Valley High School
) is a secondary school
that serves teenagers from grades 9 to 12 in the Quispamsis area.
KVHS opened its doors to students in 1975
, originally serving the towns of Rothesay
and much of rural Kings County
. This changed in 1992
when Hampton High School was opened to serve the town of Hampton and much of rural Kings County. Rothesay High School was opened in 1997
to serve the town of Rothesay
The KVHS Leadership Team is the equivalent of a student union
. The Leadership Team is a group of students that organize or help with most school events. Every year a School president
is elected as the person who received the most votes, however the president usually does not have much power over The Leadership Team and is mostly elected to represent the school.
Grad Class Representatives
The Grad Class Representatives are similar to the Leadership Team and have the same responsibilities as the Leadership Team however they focus more on planning events for the Graduating Class. A Grad Class President is also elected as the person who receives the most number of votes.
Reach for the Top
- KV's Crusaders were National Champions on CBC's SmartAsk trivia competition in 2002 and came second in the following year.
- KVHS finished 2nd out of over 400 teams in Canada at the Reach for the Top National Championships in 2007. The Crusaders also finished 5th in 2004 and 2006. The team was undefeated in NB in 2005 but was unable to participate in Nationals because of a teacher's strike.
- KVHS has been the defending New Brunswick Reach for the Top Champion since 2004. As of April 2008, the Senior team has won 22 consecutive provincial tournaments dating back to March 2004. The Crusaders have won 147 consecutive games in provincial play since April 2004.
- In 2008, the team won the UTS Invitational tournament in Toronto as well as the N.B. Provincial Championships. They took their 47-0 season record to Edmonton for the National Championships in May.
- KV finished 3rd at the 2008 National Championships. They were tied for 1st after the round robin with a 10-1 record, the team's best ever. In the RR the Crusaders beat eventual National Champs from Lisgar. In the semi-finals the team from Ottawa returned the favor. KV finished it's best season ever with 58 wins and only two losses.
The concert band
is a performing band for the school. It consists of flutes
, and a tuba
, depending on the year, and percussion. The concert band performs at most of the high schools concerts and takes a yearly trip to Halifax
for a concert band competition.
Since 2003, KVHS has had an annual fair which students taking the 'Entrepreneurship 110' course participate in. The market consists of students thinking up an idea of a product they want to sell and then making up a business plan for that product. Students from the two classes from KVHS and one class from Rothesay High meet in the Cafeteria of KVHS to sell their products. The market takes place around the middle of December, and usually has a 'Christmas like' theme.
Every December KVHS has a variety show in which students can show off their talent. Acts usually are singers, dancers, bands and other miscellaneous acts. The variety show has three MCs for the show.
Grad Class Events
- Belinda's Bash
- Grad Class Coffee House
- Grad Class Skate
- Safe Grad
- In 1999 the Varsity Mens Soccer team won the Provincial AAA championship.
- In 2001 the Varsity Mens Soccer team won the Provincial AAA championship.
- In 2005 the Varsity Football team won the provincial AA championship completing their unexpected second straight undefeated season.
- In 2007 the girls field hockey team won their second consecutive provincial title.
- In 2008 the JV Girls Basketball team defended their provincial title.
- In April 2008, the Mixed Curling team won the provincial NBIAA title they had won in 2006. This is the second win for three members of the team.
- In 2005, a KVHS student won first place in the University of Toronto's Biology Competition, the school's team placed 2nd overall.