The district is dominated by the gasometers (erected in 1891) which were reputed to be the biggest in the United Kingdom. During the Second World War the Royal Air Force stationed a balloon unit on what is now ex MOD housing on Dorchester Avenue. The large fields were once used for grazing horses and cattle but are now the site of more tenement building and the Kelvindale Primary School. Former Glasgow Caledonian University Hall of Residence Gibson Hall, which stood on Dorchester Avenue, was recently demolished to make way for new build. Flanders House, built for soldiers of the Great War, was demolished in 2006 and has been replaced by a modern construction. The area is locally termed "Little England" due to the streets being named after English place names. This was a ploy to attract workers for Barr and Stroud optical works at Anniesland, Rolls Royce building at Hillington and the shipyards on the Clyde. In the early 2000s it remains a desirable family area near the city's West End.
A railway station was opened on 26 September 2005 to serve Kelvindale. It runs from Glasgow Queen Street (High Level) to Anniesland, an extension of the Maryhill Line. The number 11 bus runs through the area into the city centre.
In recent years, at Cleveden Secondary School and Kelvindale Primary School, the ash football pitches have been sold and replaced by new astroturf pitches.
Historic images of the Kelvindale area can be found on the Virtual Mitchell website.