(born July 10
) is an American science fiction
writer, best known for her Saga of Pliocene Exile
(Saga of the Exiles
in the UK
) and Galactic Milieu
Julian May grew up in Chicago
, and became involved in science fiction fandom
in her late teens. She sold her first professional fiction, a short story
called "Dune Roller
", in 1951 to John W. Campbell
's Astounding Science Fiction
. She met her future husband, Ted Dikty
, later that year when he requested permission to reprint the story in his anthology series; they were married in 1952. She chaired the Tenth World Science Fiction Convention
in Chicago that same year. After selling one more short story, "Star of Wonder" (to Thrilling Wonder Stories
in 1953), she dropped out of the science fiction field.
During the 1950s, May wrote thousands of science articles for the World Book encyclopedia. In 1957 she and her husband founded a production and editorial service for small publishers, specializing in children's non-fiction. Between 1957 and 1981 she wrote more than one hundred books for children and young adults, all non-fiction, and two stories under her own name and a variety of pseudonyms.
In 1981 she returned to science fiction with the Saga of Pliocene Exile, published in the U.S. by Houghton Mifflin. In 1987 she continued the series with Intervention followed by the Galactic Milieu Series: Jack the Bodiless, Diamond Mask and Magnificat.
Bibliography of adult fiction (U.S. first editions only)
- The Many-Colored Land (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1981). ISBN 0-395-30230-7.
- The Golden Torc (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1982). ISBN 0-395-31261-2.
- The Nonborn King (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1983). ISBN 0-395-32211-1.
- The Adversary (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1984). ISBN 0-395-34410-7.
- Intervention: A Root Tale to the Galactic Milieu and a Vinculum between it and The Saga of Pliocene Exile (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1987). ISBN 0-395-43782-2. (Released in the USA as two mass market paperbacks: Surveillance and Metaconcert. Released in the UK as a single volume)
- ''Metaconcert (Intervention no. 2) Separate paperback. ISBN 0-345-35524-5 Publisher: Del Rey (January 13, 1989)
- Jack the Bodiless (New York: Knopf, 1991). ISBN 0-679-40950-5.
- Diamond Mask (New York: Knopf, 1994). ISBN 0-679-43310-4.
- Magnificat (New York: Knopf, 1996). ISBN 0-679-44177-8.
The Trillium series
began as a three-way collaboration. After the first book, the three authors each continued the series on their own.
The Rampart Worlds
- Perseus Spur (New York: Ballantine, 1999). ISBN 0-345-39510-7. (First published 1998 in UK.)
- Orion Arm (New York: Ballantine, 1999). ISBN 0-345-39519-0.
- Sagittarius Whorl: An Adventure of the Rampart Worlds (New York: Ballantine, 2001). ISBN 0-345-39518-2.
- Conqueror's Moon (New York: Ace, 2004). ISBN 0-441-01132-2.
- Ironcrown Moon (New York: Ace, 2005). ISBN 0-441-01244-2.
- Sorcerer's Moon (New York: Ace, 2006). ISBN 0-441-01383-X.
- May, Julian (1984). A Pliocene Companion. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.