Judith Godrèche (born March 23, 1972) is a French actress and author, born in Paris.
Godrèche's early work included commercial modeling for a Japanese chocolate maker, as well as a teen magazine. Her first film appearance was as Claudia Cardinale
's daughter in L'été prochain
. At age 14 she obtained her first major role in Benoît Jacquot
's Les Mendiants
with Dominique Sanda
In 1989, Godrèche starred in Jacques Doillon's La Fille de 15 ans with Melvil Poupaud, which brought her fame. The following year, she turned to a full-time career in film. In 1990 she was nominated for the César Award for Most Promising Actress for her performance in Jacquot's La Désenchantée.
In 1994 her novel Point de côté was published in France by Broché Publishers to good reviews.
Godrèche was not well-known to American audiences until Patrice Leconte's Ridicule was released in 1996. The film introduced her to Americans in the role of Mathilde de Bellegarde. In 1997 she starred with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jeremy Irons in The Man in the Iron Mask. Her fans consider her beauty an example of "innocent sensuality".
Godrèche was nominated for a 2002 César Award for best supporting actress for her performance in the surprise European hit, L'Auberge espagnole.
Godrèche had a relationship with Benoît Jacquot
and left her home at 15 to live with him. She later married Dany Boon
, who is the father of her son Noé. She now lives with Maurice Barthélemy
, the father of her daughter Tess.
- J'veux pas que tu t'en ailles (2006, by Bernard Jeanjean) - Carla
- Human Bomb (2006, by Maurice Barthélémy)
- Papa (2004, by Maurice Barthélémy) - Maman
- Tout pour plaire (2004, by Cécile Telerman) - Marie
- Tu vas rire mais je te quitte (2004, by Philippe Harel) - Elise Vérone
- Quicksand (2003, by John Mackenzie) - Lela Forin
- France Boutique (2002, by Tonie Marshall) - Estelle
- Parlez-moi d'amour (2002, by Sophie Marceau) - Justine
- L'Auberge Espagnole (2001, by Cédric Klapisch) - Anne-Sophie
- Entropy (1999, by Phil Joanou) - Stella
- Bimboland (1998, by Ariel Zeitoun) - Cécile Bussy
- The Man in the Iron Mask (1997, by Randall Wallace) - Christine Bellefort
- Ridicule (1995, by Patrice Leconte) - Mathilde
- Beaumarchais, l'insolent (1995, by Edouard Molinaro) - Marie-Antoinette
- L'Aube à l'envers (1995 short, by Sophie Marceau)
- Grande petite (1994, by Sophie Fillières) - Bénédicte
- Une nouvelle vie (1993, by Olivier Assayas) - Lise
- Tango (1992, by Patrice Leconte) - Madeleine
- Emma Zunz (1992 TV, by Benoît Jacquot) - Emma Zunz
- Paris s'éveille (1991, by Olivier Assayas) - Louise
- Ferdydurke (1991, by Jerzy Skolimowski) - Zoo
- La Désenchantée (1990, by Benoît Jacquot) - Beth
- La Fille de quinze ans (1989, by Jacques Doillon) - Juliette
- Sons (1989, by Alexandre Rockwell) - Florence Jr
- Un été d'orages (1988, by Charlotte Brandström) - Laurence
- La Méridienne (1988, by Jean-Francois Amiguet) - Stéphanie
- Les Saisons du plaisir (1987, by Jean-Pierre Mocky) - Ophélie
- Les Mendiants (1987, by Benoît Jacquot) - Catherine
- L'été prochain (1985, by Nadine Trintignant) - Nickie