Jonathan P. Bowen FBCS FRSA (born 1956) is a British computer scientist. He is Chairman of Museophile Limited, an Emeritus Professor at London South Bank University where he has headed the Centre for Applied Formal Methods, a Visiting Professor at King's College London and a visiting academic at University College London.
Bowen was born in Oxford
, the son of Humphry Bowen
, and was educated at the Dragon School
, Bryanston School
and University College, Oxford
. He holds a degree
in Engineering Science
from Oxford University
Bowen has previously worked at Imperial College, London
, the Oxford University Computing Laboratory
and the University of Reading
. His main contribution has been in the promulgation of formal methods
in general and the Z notation
in particular. He has been Chair of the Z User Group
since the early 1990s. In 2002, Bowen was elected Chair of the British Computer Society
FACS Specialist Group on Formal Aspects of Computing Science
. Since 2005, Bowen has been an Associate Editor-in-Chief of the journal Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering
His other major interest is the area of online museums. In 1994, Bowen founded the Virtual Library museums pages (VLmp), an online museums directory that was soon adopted by the International Council of Museums (ICOM). In the same year he also started the Virtual Museum of Computing, one of the earliest virtual museums. In 2002, he founded Museophile Limited to help museums, especially online.
- Bowen, J.P., editor, Towards Verified Systems. Elsevier Science, Real-Time Safety Critical Systems series, volume 2, 1994. ISBN 0-444-89901-4.
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Applications of Formal Methods. Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, 1995. ISBN 0-13-366949-1.
- Bowen, J.P., Formal Specification and Documentation using Z: A Case Study Approach. International Thomson Computer Press, International Thomson Publishing, 1996. ISBN 1-85032-230-9.
- Bowen, J.P. and Hinchey, M.G., editors, High-Integrity System Specification and Design. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 3-540-76226-4.
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Industrial-Strength Formal Methods in Practice. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 1-85233-640-4.