Jay Brannan (March 29, 1982) is an American singer/songwriter and actor.
Early life and career
Jay Brannan was born in Houston
. He later studied acting at the College Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati
for two semesters
. Brannan then moved to California, first to Palm Springs
and then later to Los Angeles
. Jay currently resides in New York
, where he has lived for five years.
Much of Jay's early work was avaiable via his own web site and Youtube
. In March 2007, Brannan provided four of his songs, for sale, on Myspace. His EP is also for sale, via download, available from various online digital music retailers.
Brannan's first full length album "Goddamned", produced by Will Golden, was slated for release on iTunes July 1, 2008; the hard copy, available through his own label Great Depression Records, shipped on July 15th.
Brannan made his first international tour, to the UK, in August and September supported by Bitch. He also appears on the cover to the September issue of AXM, a British gay magazine.
Brannan won a part in John Cameron Mitchell's
after sending in an audition tape.
In Shortbus, Brannan plays a character named Ceth. Brannan performs one of his own songs, Soda Shop in the movie. This song also appears on the film soundtrack.
He subsequently appeared as Jake in the 2007 film Holding Trevor.
- Hakim, Jamie (December 2006). "Get Shorty" attitude magazine. Cover story in British award winning gay lifestyle monthly magazine.
- Ocean, Justin. Next Magazine (September 15, 2006, Issue 14.11). Cover story on Shortbus in the New York City gay lifestyle weekly magazine. Includes quotes from Brannan.
- Angelo, Gregory T. and Ocean, Justin. Next Magazine (January 6, 2006, Issue 13.27). "Future Legends". Article in New York City gay lifestyle weekly magazine on Brannan.
- Cincinnati Enquirer weekly CINWEEKLY, October 25, 2006.
- A Terrifying Bio, JayBrannan.com.