Jane Fulton Alt
(born May 26
) is an American photographer
who explores issues of love, loss, and spirituality in her work. Alt was the recipient of the 2007 Illinois Art Council
Fellowship Award and the 2007 Ragdale Fellowship Award.
Jane Fulton Alt was born in Chicago in 1951 and has been active in the arts much of her lifetime. She grew up with parents who were avid collectors and began actively exploring the visual arts while raising her own family. She studied at the Evanston Art Center, Columbia College, and the Art Institute of Chicago.
Body of Work
In addition to photography, Jane Fulton Alt is a clinical social worker who has been in practice since the 1970s. She bridged these professions in New Orleans
following Hurricane Katrina
when she accompanied residents of the Lower Ninth Ward
to examine the damage to their houses as part of the “Look and Leave” program organized by the City of New Orleans and the American Red Cross. Her exhibition at the DePaul University Art Museum entitled “Look and Leave: New Orleans in the Wake of Katrina” was recognized as one of the Top 5 Photography Museum Shows in Chicago in 2006 . Her work is published in the books Katrina Exposed
and New Orleans: The Making of an Urban Landscape
(3rd ed), and also in American Tragedy: New Orleans Under Water
30, no 3, Summer 2007).
Jane Fulton Alt has been featured on NPR in relation to her work in New Orleans.
Images of Mexico
Annually since 1996, Alt has accompanied Frontera Grill/Topolobampo Restaurant
staff to Mexico. Her photographs, part of her “Images of Mexico” series, are exhibited in the restaurant, which was awarded Best Restaurant of 2007 in the United States by the James Beard Foundation.
Alt has exhibited extensively both nationally and internationally including solo exhibitions in Chicago (Artemisia Gallery, Flatfile Gallery, Fourth Presbyterian Church, Depaul University Art Museum, Frontera Grill/Topolobampo Restaurant, Morton College, Art Chicago), Poland (International Festival of Photography), and Syria (International Photography Festival).
- Asensi, Matilde, The Last Cato: A Novel. Rayo, 2006. ISBN 978-0060828578. Alt's photo is featured on the cover of the book.
- Boyd, Terry, City 2000. 1st Ed. 3 Book Publishing, Distributed by University of Illinois Press, 2006. ISBN 978-0252031779. Alt is one of 39 photographers whose works are shown.
- Lewis, Peirce F. New Orleans: The Making of an Urban Landscape. 3rd ed. University of Virginia Press, 2008. ISBN 978-1-930066-60-1 (hard); ISBN 978-1-930066-61-8 (paper).
- Maklansky, Steven, ed. Katrina Exposed: A Photographic Reckoning. New Orleans Museum of Art, 2006. ISBN 089494102X.
- McEwan, Ian, First Love, Last Rites. New Ed Edition Vintage, 2006. ISBN 978-0099754817 (paper). Alt's photo is featured on the cover of the 2006 paper edition.
Alt's work can be found in the permanent collections of the Museum of Contemporary Photography
, Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, New Orleans Museum of Art
, Yale University Beinecke Library
, DePaul University
Art Museum, Centro Fotografico Alvarez Bravo in Oaxaca, Mexico, and the Dancing Bear collection of William Hunt.