(archaic John Sniadecki; August 29
, 1756 November 9
) was a Polish mathematician
at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Born in Żnin, Śniadecki studied at the Cracow Academy and in Paris. He was rector of the Imperial University of Vilna, a member of the Commission of National Education, and director of astronomical observatories at Kraków and Vilna. He died at Jašiūnai Manor near Vilna.
Śniadecki published many works, including his observations on recently discovered planetoids. His O rachunku losów (On the Calculation of Chance, 1817) was a pioneering work in probability.
He was brother to Jędrzej Śniadecki.
- "Rachunku algebraicznego teoria" (1783)
- "Geografia, czyli opisanie matematyczne i fizyczne ziemi" (1804)
- "O Koperniku" (On Nicolaus Copernicus, biography, 1802)
- "O rachunku losów" (1817)
- "Trygonometria kulista analitycznie wyłożona" (1817)
- "O pismach klasycznych i romantycznych", Dziennik Wileński (1819)
- "Filozofia umysłu ludzkiego" (1821)
- Władysław Tatarkiewicz, Historia filozofii (History of Philosophy), 3 vols., Warsaw, Państwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe, 1978.