Born in Arad, Hungary (presently in Romania), he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Budapest, and afterwards, at the Royal Academy of Applied Arts in Zagreb. In the autumn of 1922, he left for Munich, only temporarily interrupting his studies in Zagreb. He attended the Academy of Fine Arts for two semesters, in the class of Professor Becher Gundal, as well as Hans Hofmann's private school.
In 1926, after the proclamation of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, Tabaković was engaged as a part time draftsman at the Institute of Anatomy, a department of the Medical School at the University in Zagreb. He moved to Novi Sad in 1930, and started his pedagogical work in 1938 at the School for Applied Arts in Belgrade. After the foundation of Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia's Academy of Applied Arts (in 1948), he continued his work at the Ceramics Department. He became a member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts in 1965.
Tabaković won a Grand Prix for ceramics on the Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne in Paris (1937).