Institut National de Jeunes Sourds de Paris (INJS) is the current name of the famous school for the Deaf founded by Charles-Michel de l'Épée in 1760 in Paris, France. (The date of the beginning of the school is often given as 1755, but that is incorrect.)
After the death of Père Vanin in 1759, the Abee de l'Épée was introduced to two Deaf girls who were in need of a new instructor. The school began in 1760 and shortly thereafter was opened to the public and became the world's first free school for the Deaf. It was originally located in a house at 14 rue des Moulins, butte Saint-Roch, near the Louve in Paris. On July 29, 1791, the French legislature approved government funding for the school and it was renamed: "Institution Nationale des Sourds-Muets à Paris."