John Williams is a American professional wrestler better known by his ring name Ian Rotten. He has wrestled in GWF, ECW, and his own IWA: Mid-South.
After becoming a fan of Dusty Rhodes
and Superstar Billy Graham
while growing up in Florida
and Baltimore, MD, John Williams, former real name John (Johnny) Hawk, began his career under the name Johnny Lawler, the storyline
illegitimate son of Jerry "The King" Lawler
. However, after heat
from Jerry Lawler, and a short stint as hockey gimmick Zach Blades, Williams went to wrestle for Skandor Akbar
in the Global Wrestling Federation
. Akbar wasn't a fan of the Zach Blades gimmick, and after Brian Knighton suggested they become "brothers", they became Ian and Axl Rotten
, the Bad Breed
. The Bad Breed would go on to defeat the Texas Mustangs (Bobby Duncum, Jr.
& Johnny Hawk
) for the GWF Tag Team Championship
in January 1993.
The Bad Breed entered Extreme Championship Wrestling together in 1993, and after feuding for a number of months, they lost a tag match against The Public Enemy, where the losing team could never team up again. This led to what was probably ECW's bloodiest ever feud, during the first six months of 1995, where Ian and Axl Rotten engaged in a number of violent gimmick matches, culminating in a Taipei Death Match, which saw both men tape their fists, and then glue broken glass onto their taped fists.
Ian left ECW in late 1995 over pay disputes, and moved to Kentucky to be with his wife and started a wrestling hotline. Ian found that many fans were calling in to complain about the "old fashioned" style of wrestling they were seeing at the local USWA shows run by Jerry Lawler and Jeff Jarrett, and, realising there was a demand for the more violent ECW-style product, started the IWA Mid-South promotion in early 1997. Throughout the next ten years, Ian would be involved in many of the most violent matches that IWA Mid-South held, as well as wrestling for Combat Zone Wrestling, Pro Wrestling Unplugged, Chikara and many others. In 2005 Ian made appearances at the Hardcore Homecoming shows promoted by Shane Douglas and Jeremy Borash, including the Taipei Death 2 rematch against Axl Rotten.
Rotten wrestled for IWA Mid-South's 499th event, against "his best trainee" Mickie Knuckles, in Plainfield, Indiana on December 7, 2007, JCW and Combat Zone Wrestling, as well as appearing for IWA-MS to cover for no-shows at Extreme Intentions (as Midnight Rider) and King of the Deathmatch 2008 (as Ian Bloody).
Championships and accomplishments
- *GWF Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Axl Rotten
- Independent Wrestling Association Deep South
- *IWA Deep South Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Mickie Knuckles
- *IWA Mid-South Heavyweight Championship (8 times)
- *IWA Mid-South Tag Team Championship (5 times) - with Axl Rotten twice, with Cash Flo, Tarek The Great and Mad Man Pondo once
- *IWA Mid-South King of the Deathmatch (2 times) 1997 and 2001
- *JCW Tag Team Championship (1 time, current) - with Lane Bloody
- *MAW World Heavyweight Championship (8 times)
- *MAW Hardcore Cup Winner (2 times - 2001 and 2003)
- *NWA United States Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Blaze
- *NWA Revolution Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Danny McKay
- *PWI ranked him # 178 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1996
- *PWI Feud of the Year - 1995 (Axl Rotten vs. Ian Rotten)
- *PWU Hardcore Championship (1 time)
- westside Xtreme wrestling
- *wXw World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- *wXw Hardcore Championship (1 time)