The George Wright Golf Course, named for Baseball Hall of Famer and Cincinnati Reds Shortstop George Wright, is in Hyde Park. The golf course is a Donald Ross-designed course and is considered one of his finest designs.
Hyde Park was a separate town in Norfolk County until 1912 when it was annexed by the city of Boston and became part of Suffolk County. It was formed from parts of Dorchester, Milton, and Dedham and was incorporated April 26, 1868. The 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, which was one of the first official African-American units in the United States Army and was commanded by Col. Robert G. Shaw, was assembled and trained at Camp Meigs in Readville (now Hyde Park), Massachusetts.
Hyde Park was for many years the main base of the Westinghouse Sturtevant Corporation.
Hyde Park faced the challenges of other Boston neighborhoods during the busing crisis of the 1970s.
Alpheus Perley Blake is considered the founder of Hyde Park and the organizer of the Twenty Associates who developed the town. The Twenty Associates, in addition to Blake, included William E. Abbot, Amos Angell, Ira L. Benton, Enoch Blake, John Newton Brown, George W. Currier, Hypolitus Fisk, John C. French, David Higgins, John S. Hobbs, Samuel Salmon Mooney, William Nightingale, J. Wentworth Payson, Dwight B. Rich, Alphonso Robinson, William H. Seavey, Daniel Warren, and John Williams. Hyde Park is home to many churches most notably St. Pius X Church, Most Precious Blood Church, Saint Adalbert's [Polish] Church, and Saint Anne's Church, in Readville. The Parish of Christ Church is notable for its historic building, designed by Ralph Adams Cram.
Historically, Hyde Park's residents were people from Polish, Italian, and Irish ethnicities similar to South Boston, Charlestown, and Dorchester, Massachusetts. Hyde Park is a briskly diversifying neighborhood; as of 2000 the ethnic breakup roughly is 43% Non-Hispanic White, 39% Black or African-American, 17% Hispanic or Latino and 1% Asian-American.
Hyde Park has quite an inventory of warehouses and factory buildings from the nineteenth and early twentieth century in the Readville neighborhood and along the Neponset River and Mother Brook. (http://www.sturtevantfan.com/BldgA.html)
Hyde Park's central business district, near the confluence of River Street, Fairmont Street and Hyde Park Ave features a former Opera House; a Cram, Wentworth & Goodhue Church (1893-94) (http://www.historicboston.org/99cb/christchurch.htm); and a public library with contemporary addition by Schwartz/Silver Architects.