The MSN-00100 (MSN-100, MSN-001) Hyaku Shiki (百式)
is a mobile suit
from the Universal Century
timeline of the Gundam anime
metaseries. It has a major role in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
and Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
MSN-00100 (MSN-100, MSN-001) Hyaku Shiki
The MSN-00100 (MSN-100, MSN-001) Hyaku Shiki
(codename: "δ Gundam" (Delta Gundam)
. "Hyaku Shiki" consists of the Japanese kanji
characters "百式", which mean "Type 100" in English.) is a mobile suit built by Anaheim Electronics
as part of "Project Ζ
". It was originally designed as one of the prototypes for the MSZ-006 Ζ Gundam
by incorporating the "movable frame" technology found in the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II
and back-pack wing binders for additional mobility, though defects in the frame design rendered it incapable of transforming into mobile armor mode. As a result, its design was revised to eliminate the failed transformation mechanisms. The Hyaku Shiki sported a highly reflective gold-colored frame—a result of beam-resistant coating.
This mobile suit was initially assigned to Quattro Bajeena of the AEUG and remained in service until its abandonment during the end of the Gryps War, following a confrontation between Quattro Bajeena and Haman Karn of the Axis camp. The AEUG space warship Argama later recovered the abandoned mobile suit but never assigned a permanent pilot to the unit, though Beecha Oleg would commonly pilot the suit.
A large beam cannon called the mega bazooka launcher was also designed by Anaheim for use by the Hyaku Shiki. While this weapon's power was sufficient to easily destroy a battleship with one shot, its power requirements were so high that a second mobile suit (usually the MSA-005 Methuss) had to attach power cables directly from its reactor to the mega bazooka launcher. A single shot from the launcher was sufficient to completely drain the reactor, requiring the Hyaku Shiki to carry the other mobile suit back to the hangar for refueling.
The Hyaku Shiki first appeared in episode 9 of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, "A New Bond", and was designed by Mamoru Nagano.
In other media
- Hyaku Shiki also has made appearances as one of the units in many of the Super Robot Taisen video games series. As of 2005, Hyaku Shiki appeared in 19 of the 24 Super Robot Taisen (Super Robot Wars) games. Only three games that include Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam lack Hyaku Shiki.
- Hyaku Shiki also appears as a playable unit in Another Century's Episode.
- Piloted by both Quattro Bajeena and Beecha Oleg, the Hyaku Shiki also makes an appearance in Dynasty Warriors: Gundam.
- According to Katoki Hajime commenting the poles from Newtype, as quoted in Newtype magazine serialized Seed Club 4 coma short comic series, as of 26 August, 2005, the MG Hyaku Shiki ranked TOP1 in Most Gorgeous MG because it is the first and only model with an overall metal coating with specially made joints to hide the injection molding problems earlier model parts exhibits.
In other media
- In one Doraemon movie, Nobita and the Steel Troops (のび太と鉄人兵団), there is a giant robot called Zandacros. Similar to MSN-100 Hyaku Shiki, the mecha designer was manga artist Takaya Kenji (たかや健二), he has designed the mecha based on Hyaku Shiki.
MSR-100 (MSR-00100) Hyaku Shiki Kai
Though only a single Hyaku Shiki was built, Anaheim Electronics further developed an MS based on the Hyaku Shiki known as MSR-100 (MSR-00100) Hyaku Shiki Kai
(also called MSR-100S (MSR-00100S) Hyaku Shiki Kai
. "Kai" is the kanji character "改", which means "Modified" in English.). The Hyaku Shiki Kai has improved wing binders and more powerful thrusters. It also features shoulder-mounted weapons such as beam gatling guns and pulse laser guns. While it is unclear how many Hyaku Shiki Kai were produced, there are several variations of the machine.
The Hyaku Shiki Kai first appeared as part of the Zeta Gundam Mobile Suit Variations original design series, designed by Kazumi Fujita.
MSR-100S (MSR-00100S) Hyaku Shiki Kai Mass Production Type
This Mass Production model has the wing binders removed and its shoulder-mounted weapons are replaced by a single 6-barrel multipurpose launcher, which reduces its production costs. While it still has good performance, the mass production plan was canceled.
Hyaku Shiki Kai Mass Production Type first appears as part of the Zeta Gundam Mobile Suit Variations original design series, designed by Kazumi Fujita.
MSK-100S (MSK-00100S) Land Combat Hyaku Shiki Kai
A design for the AEUG's allies Karaba. It looks more like the original Hyaku Shiki than the Hyaku Shiki Kai. Though the wing binders were removed, the Land Combat Hyaku Shiki Kai features underwater seals to protect it from moisture and dust, making it suitable for several combat situations such as underwater, marsh lands and desert. Only a few units were produced and assigned to the Karaba to use them against the Titans' transformable mobile weapons.
The Land Combat Hyaku Shiki Kai first appeared as part of the Kunio Okawara's MS Collection original design series, designed by Kunio Okawara.
FA-100S (FA-00100S) Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai
As the name implied, the FA-100S is a Hyaku Shiki Kai equipped with external heavy armor. While its mobility was reduced by the additional weight of armor, the armor also has several built-in weapons including beam cannons and a powerful mega particle cannon. The Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai also is able to use a long mega buster cannon, based on the mega bazooka launcher used by the original Hyaku Shiki, and explosive bolts. These armaments make the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai a high-level offensive MS. The Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai was used by Cliff Fleming in his fight against the MRX-011 Mass Production Type Psyco Gundam
piloted by Enlight near the industrial city Episolon on the Moon on November 20, UC 0087.
The Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai first appeared as part of the Kunio Okawara's MS Collection original design series, designed by Kunio Okawara.
MSN-001 δ Gundam
First seen in Gundam Graphica
, δ Gundam is the original design of Hyaku Shiki. Although it is a fully transformable mobile suit and the blueprint was completed, the technology at that time showed rapid metal fatigue
on the system and the transforming parts were abandoned. Only CAD models of the unit survive in the computer simulation battle systems. In real life, the design was a sub-product for Gundam Evolve series.
MSN-001A1 δ Gundam Plus
In the newest novel serialization Gundam Unicorn
, Katoki Hajime
took the transformable design seen in the above-mentioned CAD model, and designed a new variant of it parallel to Z plus
- The in-series explanation for the Hyaku-Shiki is also true to life. Early in the design process, designer Mamoru Nagano submitted his idea for the Zeta Gundam, but it was rejected. The Transformation system seemed to be defective for this unit, so he removed the transformation abilities and reworked the mobile suit, turning it into a high-performance mobile suit.
- Hyaku Shiki stands for "Type 100" in Japanese; this is explained in-series as the designer hoping to create a mobile suit design that would endure for a hundred years.
- The alternate color scheme for the Hyaku-Shiki in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam is red and black instead of gold (possibly because the Hyaku Shiki in the game does not have ABC), and only appears if the player uses the MS as a Zeon or Titans pilot. This goes well with the fact that Char receives the Hyaku-Shiki in his Axis Zeon route, where he goes by "Char Aznable" rather than "Quattro Bajeena".
- During World War II, there was an aircraft of the Imperial Japanese Army Air Forces that was used as a bomber interceptor which bore the name "Hyaku-Shiki Shitei III Kai" (Type 100 Air Defense Fighter Modified). Based on the Mitsubishi Ki-46 Command Reconnaissance Plane (Allied codename "Dinah"), it was among the fastest flying aircraft in WWII.
- Super Robot Taisen F Final's database entry on Hyaku Shiki and Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai.
- Super Robot Taisen Alpha's database entry on Hyaku Shiki, Hyaku Shiki Kai and Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai.
- SD Gundam G Generation F's database entry on Hyaku Shiki, Hyaku Shiki Kai, Hyaku Shiki Kai Mass Production Type, Land Combat Hyaku Shiki Kai and Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai.
- Super Robot Taisen Alpha 3's database entry on Hyaku Shiki.