It was after the 1983 All-Ireland Football Final between Dublin and Galway, where overcrowding on Hill 16 caused a few supporters to suffer injuries, that the GAA decided to rebuild the Hill . This work was completed in 1988, allowing a capacity of 10,000 spectators. In the mid 1990s the GAA came up with a masterplan to rebuild the whole stadium. It was envisaged that Hill 16 would be replaced with an all-seated stand, however, this met with opposition from Dublin supporters. There were also the problems of the nearby railway line and the fact that the GAA doesn't own any of the land behind Croke Park. The plans were redrawn and a new, terraced area was built at a cost of €25 million. The new Railway End, which includes Hill 16 and the Nally terrace, are capable of holding more than 9,000 spectators.
For international soccer matches temporary seating is added to comply with UEFA Rules.
In 2006 the Hill was renamed Dineen/Hill 16 in honour of Frank Dineen, who purchased the grounds for the GAA in 1908.