is a civil parish
located three miles east of Lancaster
on the north bank of the River Lune
. The main settlement is the village
of Halton-on-Lune, commonly just called Halton, in the west and the parish stretches to the hamlet
of Aughton in the east.
The village consists primarily of modern housing, amongst which can be found a number of 17th and 18th century buildings. The 19th century Textile Mills once harnessed the power of the Lune. Earthworks on Castle Hill show evidence of an 11th century Norman motte & bailey castle
. In the churchyard of St Wilfrids stands the Halton Cross believed to have been carved by Norsemen
over 1,000 years ago.
Halton Castle was situated in the village of Halton. Halton was an important Anglo-Saxon manor held by Earl Tostig, the brother of King Harold before the Norman Conquest. It is likely that a motte and bailey castle was constructed on the site in the late 11th century. However Halton’s prominence was lost in the 12th century when favour shifted to Lancaster, and Halton Castle was abandoned. Only earthworks now remain and it is privately owned with no public right of way.
Aughton was known as 'Actun' in the 1086 Domesday Book
, meaning a place where oak trees grow. A riverside hamlet by the River Claughton
, it is made famous every 21 years when the gigantic Aughton Pudding is baked over a celebratory weekend. The pudding is reputedly the world’s largest. Aughton consists mainly of stone cottages and a church on Aughton Road.