(SU 920 097 ) is a tower mill
which stands on Halnaker Hill, northeast of Chichester
. The Mill is reached by a public footpath from the north end of Halnaker
, where a track follows the line of Stane Street
before turning west to the hilltop. There is no machinery in the brick tower which can be used for shelter.
was first mentioned in 1540 as belonging to the manor of "Halfnaked". It was built for the Duke of Richmond
as the feudal mill of the Goodwood Estate. The surviving mill is thought to date from the 1740s and is known to have been standing c.1780. Halnaker Mill
was working until struck by lightning
in 1905, damaging the sails and windshaft. The derelict mill was restored in 1934 by Neve's, the Heathfield millwrights
as a memorial to the wife of Sir William Bird. Further repair work was done in 1954 by E Hole and Sons, The Burgess Hill
millwrights. The mill was again restored in 2004. The mill is owned by West Sussex County Council.
is a four storey tower mill with a sixteen sided beehive cap. The mill was originally hand winded, and later fitted with a Fantail
, which was not replicated when the mill was restored. The four Common Sails
were originally carried on a wooden windshaft, which was damaged by the lightning strike in 1905. A cast iron
windshaft and wooden Brake Wheel from a wind saw mill at Punnetts Town were fitted. The windshaft is cast in two pieces, bolted together and was too short for Halnaker Mill
. Neve's inserted a spacer to lengthen it. The mill worked two pairs of overdrift millstones
- John Hervey 1810
- Charles Adams 1839 - 1870
- G R Watkins 1868 - 1905
Reference for above:-
Further readingHemming, Peter
(1936). The Windmills in Sussex
. London: C W Daniel. Online version
page on Halnaker Windmill.