(also written as Hakitia
) is a largely extinct Jewish-Moroccan language
, also known as Djudeo Spañol
or Ladino Occidental
), that was spoken on the Northeast coast of Morocco
and the Spanish towns of Ceuta
, in the latter of which it has achieved partial official recognition.
The well-known form of Ladino, as formerly spoken by Jews living in the Balkans, Greece, Turkey and Jerusalem, is "Ladino Oriental" (eastern Ladino). Haketia may be described by contrast as "Ladino Occidental". The language is a mix of old Spanish, Hebrew, and Arabic words. It was originally written using Hebrew letters, but using Spanish grammar rules. There is some cultural resemblance between the two Judaeo-Spanish dialect communities, including a rich shared stock of Romanzas (ballads) from medieval Spain, though both words and music often differ in detail (as indeed they do between one Oriental-Sephardic community and another).
The name "Haketia" derived from the Arabic ħaka حكى, "tell", and is therefore pronounced with aspirated "H", reflecting the Arabic guttural "ħa". In some places it is written "Jaquetía" with the same pronunciation.
Haketia is considered to have influenced Llanito, the Vernacular spoken in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar.
- Ada Tradition.
- Adafina Jewish-Moroccan dish with cold cuts.
- Ainará Evil eye (from the Hebrew עין הרע.)
- Aiwa - So
- Ajshoma - Embarrassment.
- Alboronia or almoronia Jewish-Moroccan dish made with eggplant, onions and shredded chicken.
- Bienmesabe Lit. "Tastes good to me"; a kind of sponge cake.
- Caído de mazal, demudado del mazal, enfollinado del mazal, kefreado del mazal All meaning bad luck.
- Chamor, Chamorice Dumb, dumbness! (From Hebrew Chamor (חמור)- Donkey)
- Chará, Charear Shit, and to shit (taboo).
- Darbeado, Darbeada - Crazy
- De las castas se traen las reinas From father to son.
- Dichoso, desdichado Lucky, unlucky, as in modern Spanish.
- Jalkeado - To be tired.
- Jamear - to understand, to "get it", as in, Ese no jamea nada - That guy doesn't get anything.
- Guezerá negra Big calamity.
- Hacer kabot To honor. (From the Hebrew Kavod כבוד )
- Hadrear To speak.
- Maklear - To eat.
- Paras - Money
- Sachen, sachená Man, woman. From the Hebrew Sachen (neighbor) שכן
- Sachor, sachorá Black man, black woman. From the Hebrew שחור
- Selkea - Let it be, don't pay attention.
- Shikor - Drunk. From the Hebrew
- Shuf, Shufear To pay attention.
- Su boca en la rogerá Don't say evil things!
- Tarnón, Tarnona - Idiot
- Xaxo, Totona Vagina (taboo).
- Wo - Death
- Wo por ti se haga Damn you!
- Ya que estás ai, kadmei y merki As you are here, help yourself.
- Zelif! - It's so cold!