Sixteen vessels and two shore establishments
of the Royal Navy
have been named HMS Phoenix
, after the legendary phoenix
- HMS Phoenix was a 20-gun ship purchased in 1546, rebuilt in 1558, and sold in 1573.
- HMS Phoenix was a 20-gun ship launched in 1613 and in the records until 1624.
- HMS Phoenix was a 38-gun ship launched in 1647, in Dutch hands for several months in 1652, and wrecked in 1664.
- HMS Phoenix was a Dutch ship captured in 1665 and sunk as a blockship in 1667.
- HMS Phoenix was a 42-gun fifth-rate launched in 1671. She was upgraded to a 42-gun fourth-rate in 1674, but reverted to a 36-gun fifth rate in 1691. She was burnt in 1692 to prevent her capture.
- HMS Phoenix was an 8-gun bomb vessel purchased in 1692 and sold in 1698.
- HMS Phoenix was an 8-gun fire ship launched in 1694, rebuilt in 1709 as a 24-gun sixth-rate and rebuilt again in 1727. She was hulked in 1742 and sold in 1744.
- HMS Phoenix was a 24-gun sixth-rate launched in 1743, used as a hospital hulk after 1755, and was sold in 1762.
- HMS Phoenix was a 44-gun fifth-rate launched in 1759 and lost in a hurricane off Cuba in 1780.
- HMS Phoenix was a 36-gun fifth-rate launched in 1783 and wrecked in 1816.
- HMS Phoenix was a wooden paddle sloop launched in 1832, converted to screw propulsion in 1845, and sold in 1864.
- HMS Phoenix was a composite screw sloop launched in 1879 and wrecked in 1882.
- HMS Phoenix was a Phoenix-class sloop launched in 1895 and capsized 1906 in a typhoon at Hong Kong.
- HMS Phoenix was a Pearl-class cruiser launched in 1889. She was renamed HMS Tauranga in 1890 and was sold in 1906.
- HMS Phoenix was an Acheron class destroyer launched in 1911 and sunk 1918 by the Austrian submarine U-XXVII.
- HMS Phoenix was a Parthian class submarine launched in 1929 and sunk by an Italian torpedo boat in 1940.
- HMS Phoenix was a Royal Navy aircraft repair yard in Egypt, in commission between 1941 and 1946.
- HMS Phoenix was the name initially selected to replace HMS Ferret, the anti-submarine school at Londonderry. HMS Sea Eagle was used instead.
- HMS Phoenix was a training establishment in Portsmouth, in commission between 1946 and 1993.