Laid down at S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. shipyard in Sunderland on 31 May 1943 she was launched on 27 November 1943 and commissioned on 24 November 1944. She served as a convoy escort until the end of the war when she was put into reserve at Portsmouth until 1952. She was in reserve at Penarth from 1953 until 1957 when she was converted to a weather ship at Blyth in Northumberland and renamed Weather Advisor.
She served in this role from 28 September 1960 onwards until she was again extensively updated in July 1976 at Manchester dry docks, and renamed Admiral Fitzroy after the British vice-admiral Robert FitzRoy, the first director of the forerunner to the British Meteorological Office. The ship was finally scrapped at Troon in 1982.