Hægebostad is a municipality in the Vest-Agder county, Norway. Hægebostad was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Eiken was separated from Hægebostad on 1 January 1916 but it was again merged back with Hægebostad on 1 January 1963.
It is an inland municipality, with Åseral municipality to the northeast, Kvinesdal to the west, Lyngdal to the south, and Audnedal to the east.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Hægebostad
farm (Old Norse Helgabólstaðir
), since the first church was built there. The first element is helg-
which means "holy
" and the last element is the plural form of bólstaðr
which means "homestead
" or "farm
". Before 1889, the name was written Hegebostad
is from modern times. They were granted on 4 April 1986. The arms show the two swords
dating from the 4th-6th century that were found in the municipality. They symbolize the famous swords of Snartemo
found in the municipality. The swords were highly decorated with silver and gold.