The Govt. Engineering College, Thrissur is one of the most prestigious institution of Technical Education in Kerala. The College started functioning in the Chempukkavu campus in of Maharaja Technological Institute in 1957.
The present college campus is spread over an area of 75 acres and is located at Ramavarmapuram whish is about 5 km from the heart of Thrissur town and about 6 km from Thrissur Railway station.
The foundation stone of the college was laid by late Pandit Jawarharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, on 26th April 1958. The work on the main buildings, two men's hostels and laboratories were taken up straightaway and subsequently on their completion, the classes were shifted to the present campus in October 1960. The college was formally inaugurated by the late Shri. Pattam A. Thanu Pillai, the then Chief Minister of Kerala on 2nd February 1962.
Prof. S. Rajaraman, a civil engineer of international repute and author of many engineering books was the first Principal. He along with Prof. M. P. Mathew and Prof. V. S. Nair (the then Head of the Departments of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering respectively) formed the triumvirate that gave the college a strong footing and set the pace for the onward growth and development of the college.
The college since then had the opportunity to have the following distinguished and illustrious personalities at its helm in succession:
The following Post-graduate programmes are also offered:
Mr Vijaya Deep