The Golden Beggar
(Zlatý žobrák) is the first and the oldest international festival
of local TV broadcasters
, which takes place every year in June in Košice
The festival was established in 1995 to celebrate, popularize and support European local TV broadcasters production.
The Golden Beggar is a huge database of local programmes and a place of high quality workshops, lectures, presentations, round tables and discussion forums. It is also a market place for programmes and a place for co-production opportunities.
The official language of the festival is English. Simultaneous interpretation with translation from and into Slovak, French, German, Spanish and Russian is available.
The festival jury is headed by journalist Ed J. Baumeister (U.S.A.).
The patron of the festival is Ján Figeľ, European Commissioner of Slovak Republic.
List of winners
- 1995 - Crime That Changed Serbia (B92, Belgrade, Yugoslavia)
- 1996 - Daniel (Sitel TV, Republic of Macedonia)
- 1997 - Mountain Boy (Alternativna TV, Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina-Republika Srpska)
- 1998 - Gone with the Wind (TV Flux, Republic of Moldova)
- 1999 - Attack (TV Niš, Niš, Yugoslavia)
- 2000 - Helmut Bistika (TV Naša, Košice, Slovakia)
- 2001 - Possibly You (TV Global, Košice, Slovakia)
- 2002 - The Rules of the Game (TV Wisla, Kraków, Poland)
- 2003 - The 21st Century (Alternativna TV, Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina-Republika Srpska)
- 2004 - The White Village (TV Čačak, Čačak, Serbia and Montenegro)
- 2005 - Muharem Music-The Eyes Of Life (TV Krug, Serbia and Montenegro)
- 2006 - Doctor Schileru (TV Etalon, Romania)
- 2007 - Mothers from the Kingdom of Shadows (OWH Studio, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova)
- 2008 - The Humoresque (TV Etalon, Romania) - An unusual portrait of 94 years old woman who has adhered to moral principles all her life, but she suddenly runs into blind alley…