The first graduating class, in 1926, had only four members. However, population growth in the school area soon led to serious overcrowding at the First Avenue Building. Additional classes were held in the Old Town Hall, a frame building adjacent to the school. Other classes were also held in a new community hall built by the Masonic Lodge. Land located on Baltimore and Annapolis Boulevard, on the outskirts of the town of Glen Burnie, was purchased by the Anne Arundel County Board of Education from Curtis Creek Mining and Manufacturing Company. Subsequent purchases of smaller parcels of land brought the total area to 34 acres. School construction began in 1931, and the present Old Main Building was ready for occupancy in October 1932. Total construction cost was $164,200.
The Annex was added at a cost of $27,000 and it housed the Industrial Arts classes. In 1937, wings were added to the Old Main building to accommodate a growing population. The Vocational Education building was completed in 1948 at a cost of $987,000 and provided classroom space and instruction areas for the Trades. It served for many years as the Vocational Technical Center for all schools in the North County until a new Vocational Technical Center was constructed in 1976. The present Business Education building was opened as Glen Burnie Junior High School in 1948. In 1955, the present gymnasium was constructed at a cost of $519,000 plus equipment. In 1958, further increases in the school area population led to the construction of a new junior high school in Marley. The former junior high school building was turned over to Glen Burnie High School and was equipped for instruction in Business Education. Once the old junior high building became part of the high school, its gymnasium gave the school two full gymnasiums for the physical education classes and sporting events.
The Administration building, constructed in 1964, added the long needed auditorium. Cost of the building and equipment was $1,036,667 and included administrative, guidance, and supervisory offices plus additional classrooms.
In 1976, the Media Building was constructed as one part of the complete renovation of Glen Burnie Senior High School. The renovation included the removal of the Annex from Old Main, improvement to the athletic fields, updated office education equipment including mini and microcomputers, and the entire school air-conditioned. The cost of this renovation was about $13 million.
Tight Ends On Tiptoes, Extravagantly; Glen Burnie High School's Dance Class Offers Team-Building of a Different Kind
Dec 15, 2001; At first, the class was dreadful. Weird and embarrassing. Cory Dukehart's arms were cement. His legs were tree stumps. He...