Glasgow Cathedral, also called the High Kirk of Glasgow, is today a Church of Scotland cathedral in Glasgow. It is located just outside of the city centre beside Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The history of the cathedral is linked with that of the city, and is allegedly located where the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Mungo, built his church. The tomb of the saint is in part of the church.
Originally Roman Catholic, the cathedral is a superb example of Gothic architecture. It is also one of the few Scottish medieval churches (and the only medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland) to have survived the Reformation unscathed. The 13th century tower is the last remaining intact tower in any Scottish medieval church, the later parts, and the spire, erected by Bishop William de Lawedre (Lauder) who died in 1425.
Technically, it is not any longer a cathedral, since it has not been the seat of a bishop since 1690. However, unlike many disused and ruined cathedrals in Scotland, it is still a place of active Christian worship, hosting a Church of Scotland congregation. The current minister (since 15 February 2007) is the Rev Dr Laurence A. B. Whitley MA BD PhD, who was previously minister at Montrose Old and St Andrew’s Parish Church. The previous minister was the Very Rev Dr William Morris, who was minister from 1967 until retiring in November 2005. The building itself is in the ownership of the Crown, is maintained by Historic Scotland and is also a popular destination for tourists.
In the steeple of Glasgow is a great bell, which is twelve feet one inch in circumference, and has a grave and deep tone. In 1789, it was accidentally cracked by some persons who got admission to the steeple. It was, therefore, sent to London, and cast anew. On the outside of it is the following inscription: